Quick Mill Silvano from Chris' Coffee

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dialydose

#1: Post by dialydose »

Looks like Chris' Coffee has come out with what could be a Silvia killer. At $795, with those features, it could be an extremely attractive machine. Once the price goes to the standard $995, maybe not so much. However, with the built in PID and independant steam, I still think it could still be a better option than Silvia. Will have to see how it performs but it comes from a reputable manufacturer. I am thinking about getting one for the beach.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... so/silvano

PictureThyme

#2: Post by PictureThyme »

Interesting name: Silv-a-NO

Advertisement
dialydose (original poster)

#3: Post by dialydose (original poster) »

Pretty interesting coincidence...

I know some folks on coffeegeek ordered this machine. I will be interested to hear initial comments, particulalry regarding steaming ability. I remember hearing that the Kitchen Aid attempt at this concept struggled with steaming ability (among other things). The concept of a dedicated thermoblock for steam makes perfect sense, but the execution seems to have failed in the past.

Laura

#4: Post by Laura »

Hopefully the thermoblock has been redesigned since they were used in the older home machines.
I've used the 3002 (http://www.espresso.com/3002.html) and the thermoblock left a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately, I can't say what the downfall was... lack of heat or too shot of a path?

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Given the 800 watt thermoblock and extra pump, we are looking at a "putt-putt steamer." These were found on low end machines like Krupps and Capressos, and are now common on superautos. The good point is that they are steady state, and never run out of steam. The bad part is that they are slow -- figure about a minute for a 6 ounce cappa and three for a 12 ounce one.

The putt-putts I've used were not designed for microfoam, but had panarello tips. I do not know if a well thought out tip design can give it microfoaming ability. If it can, the machine becomes a serious contender in the single boiler market. Despite the slow steaming, it will still be faster than a Silvia, since it will steam and make shots at the same time. That is, you can start steaming your cappa, and load the PF and start the shot 30 seconds into the steaming time, you will be done in a minute. The Silvia will steam in 30 seconds, but there's a minute to switch over and 30 seconds to pull the shot, so 2 minutes overall, instead of 1 minute.

I also noticed that unlike the traditional Quickmill thermoblocks, this machine has a 58mm group.
Jim Schulman

Laura

#6: Post by Laura »

another_jim wrote: I do not know if a well thought out tip design can give it microfoaming ability. If it can, the machine becomes a serious contender in the single boiler market.
Amen to that. I think this could also be worded as "If it steams as well as a Silvia, or close... it should be a hit."
another_jim wrote:Despite the slow steaming, it will still be faster than a Silvia, since it will steam and make shots at the same time. That is, you can start steaming your cappa, and load the PF and start the shot 30 seconds into the steaming time, you will be done in a minute.
Jim, you're a genius. I'd bet most people would never realize this until it's put so plainly into words.

another_jim wrote:I also noticed that unlike the traditional Quickmill thermoblocks, this machine has a 58mm group.
This is true, I've heard that Chris was responsible for this- making it a "standard" 58, rather than the old 3-tabbed 58 that QM used to use.
Unfortunately, I have no clue if any other upgrades were made.

Bob_McBob

#7: Post by Bob_McBob »

another_jim wrote:Despite the slow steaming, it will still be faster than a Silvia, since it will steam and make shots at the same time. That is, you can start steaming your cappa, and load the PF and start the shot 30 seconds into the steaming time, you will be done in a minute. The Silvia will steam in 30 seconds, but there's a minute to switch over and 30 seconds to pull the shot, so 2 minutes overall, instead of 1 minute.
Plus, you don't have to pull multiple shots and leave them to languish for several minutes while the boiler heats up if you want to make multiple drinks.
Chris

Advertisement
Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Mayhem »

As I wrote in the CoffeeGeek thread, this looks to have evolved from the Quick Mill Emilia series which was developed together with a Swedish retailer about two years ago. The Emilia is available in both a standard version with thermostat and Deluxe with PID, though price difference was so small I can't imagine anyone not going with the latter. From what I can tell the Silvano was upgraded with a larger boiler, a manometer and a handle for pulling out the drip tray, but lost the insulated ball-joint steam wand of the Emilia.

http://www.kaffemaskinen.se/webshop/?k=2&t=65&p=874
http://www.kaffemaskinen.se/webshop/?k=2&t=65&p=875
Too much is not enough

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner »

I emailed Chris Nachtrieb who sent me the following response which I am posting with his permission:
I am a little busy installing a new 60 Kilo Roaster, grinder, and high speed packaging machine right now but I will see if I can find some time. I have been working on this machine with Quick Mill for nearly two years.

It had to do the following:
Work within 15 amps.
Use a commercial 58 mm portafilter
Have a brass boiler for coffee
Power the coffee boiler by a PID
Be able to steam milk with no wait
Produce good micro foam in a reasonable time
Look good, have nice eye appeal
Made of high grade stainless
Good size drip tray
Water tank on the side not on top

It does all that and more.

It also steams a LOT faster than they talked about it the thread.

Sent from my iPhone
Chris Nachtrieb
He will try to get a video together. I looks like quite a bit went into this machine, and if steaming is good would represent a great inexpensive PID'd "double boiler."
Scott
LMWDP #248

c1raider

#10: Post by c1raider »

Sounds like Chris plans on having a video up by next week. While looking at this machine my biggest concern was steaming proficiency. Apparently you turn on the steam and open the valve with the touch of one button. The steam takes 5 seconds (roughly) to get to full power. The steam was said to be drier than the silvia but not quiet as powerful. The steam wand is articulating, moving like a V3 silvia.....It would be really convenient if a non E61 could have an Erics device equivalent attached.