Quick Mill Andreja question

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
EABonney

#1: Post by EABonney »

So I finally got my machine set up this evening and attempted a shot,wasn't expecting much on the first attempt.

My normal routine with my Gaggia Classic has been to pull two doubles each morning for my cappa. When looking tonight it appears my Bodium glasses may not fit correctly under the dual spouts to do this. Soooo not sure what to do. I usually put my shots in my 2oz Bodium glasses then dump into my travel mug and put my steamed milk and froth on top. I didn't have enough time to properly play tonight,hoping tomorrow night or most likely Sunday.

Eric

Velomane

#2: Post by Velomane »

I replaced the double spout on my Andreja portafilter with a single that I bought online.

Advertisement
EABonney (original poster)

#3: Post by EABonney (original poster) »

I finally got to play around this morning and have a few observations.

1. Man I have grind SO much finer for this machine than I did for my Gaggia. I am still not sure if I have the grinder dialed in but I just didn't have time to keep messing around as I have to work later today. I was struggling to get the group head pressure up to 8-9 bar during the pull.

2. Steaming is going to take some time getting used to. I boiled my milk I think on my first attempt. :) I think I need a bigger pitcher maybe.

Is the Andreja unusually loud when steaming milk? When I did it this first time it sounded like a jet plane taking off! :) Not sure the house guests are going to appreciate me doing that kind of noise at 6am before I leave for work every morning. :)

Looks like it's going to take a lot more experimenting and playing around with the machine before I am able to get quality shots out of it.

Jerry43

#4: Post by Jerry43 »

Usually the loud sceaming is caused by putting the tip in too deep before you get enough air into the milk. Took me a few tries to get that right so I wouldn't need ear muffs to froth! You have a lot of steam power with that machine.

EABonney (original poster)

#5: Post by EABonney (original poster) replying to Jerry43 »

Thanks for the tip Jerry. Anyone use a single spout portafilter? I was using it this morning to pull my shots and I couldn't figure out a good way to get what felt like a hard enough tamp with it.

So much to learn all over again with my new machine. It's fun but now I am wondering if I bought it at the wrong time of the year. It's tax season and I will be quickly working a ton of hours and not have much time to work on it. I under estimated for sure how much different it would be from the Gaggia I have been using.

I won't lie, she kinda intimidates me! :oops:

nile13

#6: Post by nile13 »

Try a double. It doesn't look like coffee would flow into a regular espresso cup, but it will. I'm currently using an Anita with double-spout into a Lavazza cup. Works fine.

If not double, go for naked portafilter. Forget a single spout one. You'll break your wrist one day if it slips while tamping, The only way around it is to tamp in a basket outside of portafilter than pop it in (many do that, i don't like it).

ryanjg11

#7: Post by ryanjg11 replying to nile13 »

Agree. Who would drink just a single shot anyway? :D

But to answer your question on how to accurately tamp a single spout portafilter, I believe they make special rubber/metal platform accessories (tamping stations) or depending on your countertop, you might be able to "hang it off the side."

Advertisement
cuppajoe

#8: Post by cuppajoe »

The easiest solution is a tamp stand, several H-B sponsors sell them. I'll probably get one for the double spout anyway, as it just feels wrong mashing down on the spouts.

I do two double caps each morning with the Anita using two cups that look like oversized regular cap cups. These are more bowl shaped, and picked them up at a thrift store for .50 each. Rather than being too tall, if not angled right one interferes with the E61 lever.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits