Quick look at Breville Dual Boiler Espresso Machine - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sweaner

#41: Post by sweaner »

I was using a friend's machine, so I did not time it. It was slower than the Vetrano, but certainly fast enough for a home machine. With the Williams-Sonoma sale, it seems like a great deal, especially given their customer support and return policies.
Scott
LMWDP #248

nixter

#42: Post by nixter »

ampguy wrote:Thanks Nixter and Sweaner, so do you folks have recent ones post the steaming issue fix? Would you say it would steam 8 oz of milk from 40-140 in 15, 30, 45, or 60 seconds?
What is the steaming issue fix? Are you meaning the brew pump fix? That's totally separate and won't affect steaming. I would "guess" I steamed 8oz in about 30-40 seconds.

Advertisement
ampguy

#43: Post by ampguy »

Well the early testers on some other forums had slow steaming, and were told by Breville that a fix would be made in the US production machines.

I do not have any confirmation if the ones at Williams Sonoma have a) the OPV fix, or b) the slow steaming fix.

I know that others sold in the USA have not had the OPV fix, but some users reduced the pressure on their own. I am not sure what implications that has on the warranty.

Phil can possibly elaborate.

Thanks for the estimate on steam time for 8 oz.

SHCoffee

#44: Post by SHCoffee »

My experience so far is the same as Nixter's as far as steam is concerned. It takes about 40" to 60" to texture enough milk for 2 latte's. I purchased my machine from WS in mid-November. According to the serial number (which leads off with 1133) mine was manufactured in week 33 of this year. The OPV was not set correctly a blind filter would peg it at over 13 bar. I fixed it - now it pegs at about 10 bar with a blind and 9 to 9.5 with a tight shot. The process took maybe 20 minutes and I was deliberately going very slowly and carefully. The instructions that have been posted lay it out very nicely. Coming from a super-automatic, I can tell you that the shots I'm pulling are entirely different from what I was getting with my Jura. It's true espresso. This morning for instance I pulled wonderfully short and thick ristretto that rivals anything I've had locally.

mcknightp

#45: Post by mcknightp »

The pre-production machines did have a steam issue caused by an o-ring that obstructed the steam path. This was recified prior to mass production. Steam performance from 40degF to 150degF:
5oz 37secs
8.5oz 66secs
16.5oz 126secs

Cheers, Phil

ampguy

#46: Post by ampguy »

Thanks Phil and SHCoffee, those times are pretty good. Am impressed by the specs.

jasonhilton

#47: Post by jasonhilton »

I just picked one up today from WS with the 30% discount. I had to make the OPV adjustment, but it wasn't a big deal.

Posted this on CG but figured you guys would like to see it as well. Since everyone seems to be hung up on steaming time, I made a video showing the making of a latte in real time with about 12oz of milk:

Advertisement
vetallist

#48: Post by vetallist »

Just got BDB from williams-sonoma this week, and can confirm that it still comes from 2011 33rd week batch with OPV issue and generally slow steaming compared to my Silvia.

Neither is a major issue to me and machine looks gorgeous and well thought out otherwise. Just going by looks, I think it fits in better with modern high end kitchens (sub-zero fridge and viking range for example) than Italian torture contraptions.

I am running it through its paces before forming initial impression, and yet to adjust the OPV.

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by cpreston »

I got one from Williams-Sonoma with the discount. It had the OPV adjustment issue, and I adjusted it. I would say that while it's simple, the adjustment process requires some mechanical aptitude to do safely. Probably those who would try it are those who can do it. I also drilled out the plastic insert in the portafilter, as many have done.

Using roughly the same grind setting and brew ratio I had on my Bezzera, and 18.5g in a VST 18g basket, the first few cups seem very good. The steaming is a little slower than I'm used to, but it's almost impossible not to get good microfoam. I'm very satisfied so far.

The machine's operation and menus are unexpectedly intuitive and easy to use, and the convenience features like the front fill and drop-down wheel are really nice. I think it's a very well executed product for home use.

My main reservation is the ability to descale it going forward. There is no drain and the hot water tap is on the brew boiler, not the steam boiler. I have read that you can descale it like most other machines by removing a fitting on the top of the boiler when you are willing to void the warranty. For now I'm using 60 mg water to defer the issue.

SHCoffee

#50: Post by SHCoffee »

I just ordered an 18g VST (and may order the 20g version when they start shipping at the end of the month). I'm curious to see if I can over-dose a bit more than the supplied double basket and draw out my extractions.

I'd also love a bottomless pf. I hope they'll become available soon.