Query on how to adjust water temperature on Astoria AEP machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Kev

#1: Post by Kev »

Hello,

Would anyone be able to let me know how to adjust the water temperature in an Astoria AEP machine. It's a gas/electric machine but I mostly use it with propane gas. Today I noticed that the grouphead water temperature was around 195F (measured using a thermocouple probe). I opened the top of the machine and saw a black box on the upper left side as per photo below:

I'm guessing that the yellow knob (marked B in the photo) is responsible for adjusting temperature; anti-clockwise towards the '+' sign increases boiler temperature and clockwise towards the '-' decreases temperature? Is this correct? Does the silver screw marked A in the photo have anything to do with temperature control? Of course I could be looking in the wrong place. Any advice much appreciated as I plan to take the machine to an event this coming Sunday and would like to get this temperature adjusted.

Many thanks for your time,

Kevin

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

the screw is only to remove the pressurestat cover
the plastic cap needs to be pulled up then you will have access to the adjustment screw
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Kev (original poster)

#3: Post by Kev (original poster) »

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for your reply. I believe that the adjustment screw under this plastic cap is for regulating the temperature when using electricity. I mostly use the machine with propane gas and since I posted my query I have been advised that it's best to have a gas technician make any adjustments to the gas pressure regulator as setting the flame level of the burners too high can incinerate wiring and ruin the machine.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Yes, but Stefano is correct. The "black box" is a Sirai pressurestat which adjust the pressure (and thus temperature) in the boiler. In your case (and deferring to any Astoria gas experts around), the pressurestat is used to open/close the gas control valve feeding the burner.

If you trace out the wires from the black box you should see some being connected to the gas control valve.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

JimH

#5: Post by JimH »

When using propane, the temperature is adjusted by a pressure actuated gas valve. The sirai p-stat is only used when operating under electric. Doug Garrott at Orphanespresso made a video of the Astoria gas system.

Kev (original poster)

#6: Post by Kev (original poster) »

Thanks Eric and Jim,

Doug's very useful explanation of the gas system in an Astoria shows the control valve for gas (starts around 4:06 in the video) - which is situated just under the drip tray on the left side of the machine. I've been told to be very careful adjusting this screw as it's very sensitive to even a small turn. So if there are any Astoria experts out there who can advise how to adjust this screw to increase water temperature by around 5F-8F, I'd be very grateful. Perhaps I should just defer to an Astoria technician?

Thanks,

Kevin