Pump works, but no water through E61 grouphead

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jlever

#1: Post by jlever »

Hello,

I have an Alexia that is about 5 years old, and has functioned properly until now. I had not used it for a bit, and upon trying to use it, discovered that it won't pump any water through the group head. None. When the pump is activated, the pressure gauge goes to 10 bars, but nothing comes out. The pump will cause water to pump through the water nozzle, but not the group head.

Any ideas, anyone?

Many thanks,
John

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

Sounds like an obstruction, and since you see the pressure go up it must be downstream of where the pressure gauge taps in. Have you ever descaled it?

First thing I would do is remove your mushroom per this Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale, check for scale, and ensure that your gicluer (little .7mm hole in the mushroom) is not plugged.

jlever (original poster)

#3: Post by jlever (original poster) »

That worked! I followed the directions on the linked page that you provided, and it all started working again. Now off to order new gasket and screen.

MANY THANKS!!!

John

Nate42

#4: Post by Nate42 »

Good to hear. So, how bad was the scale buildup? Have you ever descaled the machine?

jlever (original poster)

#5: Post by jlever (original poster) »

Never descaled before, but there was no visible scale on the parts. Still, I soaked everything in vinegar for 30 minutes, including inside the head, using a blind filter. Not sure what I fixed, but I'll take it!

Thanks again,

John