Pump Pressure Gauge - Easier with Portafilter Kit?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
someguy12

#1: Post by someguy12 »

Hi,

My machine (Stella Pro) comes only with the boiler pressure gauge and I would like to know the pressure coming from the pump. Now, I do not know if that is even within the realm of possibilities, but would it be possible to add/install a pressure gauge to the pump? Or is it simply easier to just get a portafilter pressure gauge kit?

Thanks in advance :D

ben8jam

#2: Post by ben8jam »

I just came on to find out about getting pressure readings from the portafilter.

Is it as easy as connecting a pressure gauge to the PF spout and running a shot? (And with or without the basket?)

Seems pressure gauges that register up to 160psi don't seem that expensive and would just need to have the correct adapter for the spout to pressure input.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

You can add a brew gauge but it is a lot of work. I put one on my Isomac years ago. It involved re plumbing the supply line to the heat exchanger, new fittings, flaring tubing, soldering on parts, tube bender, more fittings, cutting a hole in the stainless face of the machine to mount it which is huge job if you do not have a machine shop. Much easier to unscrew the spouts off a portafilter, get an adapter and pressure gauge and screw it on, or invest in a ScaceII and get temperature and pressure.
Dave Stephens

ben8jam

#4: Post by ben8jam »

cannonfodder wrote:Or invest in a ScaceII and get temperature and pressure.
I tried googling that but didn't find anything. I am going to buy a gauge at Home Depot today. But now wondering if I can add temp to that too as I'm struggling to figure out what my brew temp is at what point in the heating cycle. There's no reliable way to meausure.

Could I add something to the gauge Line that would give reliable temp reads?

someguy12 (original poster)

#5: Post by someguy12 (original poster) »

I could be wrong but I believe Dave was referring to a scace thermometer (500$ for version with pressure gauge).

Thanks for the tip Dave, I will def. look that up.

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

As to making a neat hole in stainless, there are 'Punches' you can buy for little money that work wonders. Drill a small center hole, get one of the halfs on each side of the steel, tighten the nuts pulls one part through the steel sheet,aterial.
Depending on the quality you can do nice things with these up to quite a metal thickness
LMWDP #483

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#7: Post by RapidCoffee »

cannonfodder wrote:Much easier to unscrew the spouts off a portafilter, get an adapter and pressure gauge and screw it on...
+1. There is no need to monitor pressure every time, just every now and then, to ensure your pump is set properly. Here's an old post to get you started: https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/0/195355
John

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

And here's a newer post to get you finished. :)

The male threads on the portafilter are 3/8"-19 BSPP whereas the female threads on the adaptor shown are 3/8"-18 NPT. With about two to three wraps of Teflon tape, it will seal. The adaptor has 1/4" NPT male threading. The brass tee, needle valve and pressure gage have 1/4" NPT threading. I just grabbed a pressure gage I had handy so pay no attention to the range shown. The brass parts are all available from McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com . The recommended pressure gage is from these guys: http://www.valworx.com/category/gaugestore

3/8" NPT female to 1/4" NPT male adaptor, p/n 50785K28, $2.73
1/4" NPT female tee, p/n 50785K72, $6.00
Brass Angled Needle Valve, p/n 5049K4, $8.23
(different from that shown)
Wika Gauge, 0-300 psi (oil filled), p/n 38547, $19.64
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com