Pump Noise Problem with Vibiemme Double Domo

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
sjjan

#1: Post by sjjan »

I have a Vibiemme Double Domo /PID machine that is giving me problems. It seems the the pump (or something else?) is placed somewhere else and tilted when comparing the double domo 2-boiler machine with the HX single boiler version, where it seems that the pump was placed underneath the water reservoir?.

When making espresso it makes a strange sound and when the sound is there the pressure meter shakes around 9 bar instead of staying stable.

I recorded an audio file with my iPhone here.

My supplier replaced the pump twice now and the sound doesn't go away. He also send an e-mail to Vibiemme in Italy and they said it had to be the pump. However, the pump has been twice replaced now with new ones and it seems to be more a design problem with resonation of the pump in relation to the rest of the machine. The reseller also said he thinks it is a flaw in the design of the double boiler machine of Vibiemme. I think a machine of this price shouldn't make such a noise.

Any help is appreciated.

SJ

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I hear what you're referring to, but it's not an unusual sound as vibratory pumps go. My guess is the over-pressure valve (OPV) is the culprit.

From How can I adjust the brew pressure of a vibe pump espresso machine?

To keep the brew pressure below a given setpoint, the OPV vents excess water back to the reservoir. Typically it vents more water mid-extraction when the flow rate slows than early in the extraction, increasing the likelihood that the OPV will buzz, squeal, or screech if the flow rate is just enough to crack it open. You can lower/raise the brew pressure to avoid the OPV's "noise zone"; some report replacing the rubber seal helps.

Related topics:

Noisy/faulty OPV and use of OPV in general
Odd vibe pump noise during brewing
Quickmill Anita makes loud squealing noise when pulling shots
Strange noise coming from my Andreja Premium, 5 months old

In short, I don't believe the noise you recorded indicates there's something "wrong" with your machine. More importantly, how's the espresso?
Dan Kehn

sjjan (original poster)

#3: Post by sjjan (original poster) »

The espresso is great and the steam power is much larger than the Expobar Brewtus III I have as well. However, the knob controlling the steam wand failed twice. It seemed that it has a plastic part which is of soft material. When you close the valve and open it again, it sticks to the part/needle/valve part and moves forward, thus not opening the steam wand. I had it replaced. Apart from this, it is a great machine and very stable and producing great coffee.

SJ

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

The sound is the OPV. If the espresso tastes great, leave the OPV alone.

Problems I've encounters on the Vibiemme OPV:
- HX : squealing after about 6 months of daily use. Fixed by R&R, clean and lube with Lubrifim. Been quiet for over two years.

- DD : a gradual increase in brew pressure over several months. Fixed by replacing the spring and clean & lube with Lubrifilm.

sjjan (original poster)

#5: Post by sjjan (original poster) »

Well, isn't there a way to get rid of that OPV sound by replacing the OPV orso? We do some demo's and I just don't like that strange sound.

cafeIKE

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

You could put some pipe insulation around the body and adjoining pipe to muffle it a little. Water and copper are pretty good sonic media, so don't expect silence.

You can check the pipe routing to make sure there are no unwanted contact points.
Be very careful when adjusting any internal pipe routing.

JmanEspresso

#7: Post by JmanEspresso »

I had pretty much the exact same problem, and I posted about it a little while ago.

As everyone said, its the OPV, but its just an annoyance, not a problem. To me, it kinda sounded as if the machine wasn't getting up to pressure, though the gauge showed it was, and the espresso tasted fine.

The sound comes and goes now. My suggestion, if its bothering you that much, is to replace the OPV valve seat. I got the replacement seat, but never put it in because Im lazy, and the espresso tastes just as it always has.

just a lovely inherent quality of Vibe Pump setups. I imagine eveyone with a vibe pump machine will eventually hear the same sound. Solution? Learn to deal, or get a Rotary driven machine :)

Advertisement
tlo

#8: Post by tlo »

My Double Domo makes the same noise from time to time. Since my espresso tastes fine, I never bothered with a fix.

sjjan (original poster)

#9: Post by sjjan (original poster) »

Do you guys know if there is a rotary conversion kit available for the double domo? Thanks for all the tips. The coffee is great and I wonder why it is possible that the steam power is much larger with the Vibiemme than with the Expobar Brewtus III (which has even larger boilers than the Vibiemme).