Promac Green UP SCME 2 Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
GeoffH

#1: Post by GeoffH »

Well I just picked up a 110v Promac Green UP SCME 2 group for a steal of a price off of Craigslist yesterday. Came out of a restaurant in Berkley last year. I'm not sure of the age, the motor has a date on it from 2002 but I don't know if that is a replacement or the age of the unit. Plan is to strip it down to the frame, powder coat it and change the color of it. Dip the tubes and take and reassemble. Will see how long the process takes. Will start the disassembly of the unit this weekend. Would love any advice on where to get gaskets etc for this old dog. I understand that Promac's are Rancilio but don't know exactly which one this would match up with as far as boiler gaskets etc. Also looking for any owner manuals exploded views etc in PDF form. So the journey begins today. Advice is always welcome and any tips on where to buy parts would be great.

Here is the unit:

Pretty filthy under the drip tray!

Looking better in the back of the house!

Boiler looks good:

Pump looks great!

Looking forward to the rebuild!

Did I do ok?

GeoffH (original poster)

#2: Post by GeoffH (original poster) »

Started the tear down tonight. Got the group heads out:

Just the boiler, heater unit, front face plate and a few pipes to go

Pump, motor and flow sensors

Master switch and computer

Group heads and wire harness:

Will try to get it to get powder coated on Monday.

GeoffH (original poster)

#3: Post by GeoffH (original poster) »

Finished stripping it down to the frame. Will power wash the frame and see where I am at.

Chems for acid bath should arrive today and will start dipping tank and tubes.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

Welcome Geoff. It's good to see a fellow Chico-an on the forum. Good luck with you project, that's a lot of wiring and parts to keep organized. You should be able to source most of what you need from espressoparts.com. Chico was such a boneyard for Craigslist finds, so I applaud your score. Are you going to be able to get a lot of use out of a 2 group?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

GeoffH (original poster)

#5: Post by GeoffH (original poster) replying to TomC »

This is a "compact" two group and 110v. Ideally I'd like to get a single group down the road when I can find one and rebuild it. In the mean time this will do. I got this one really really cheap. When I get a single group running I may sell this one or take it to my office at that point. It will be worth a lot more than I have in it when the time comes to sell it. The wiring looks worse than it is. I took a ton of photos for reference and am keeping all the wires plugged into there respective components so that the only thing I have to deal with are the plugs which only really go one way. It looks harder than it is really. Or at least that is how I see it at this point. When I put it back together in a week or two I may change my tune. :D

Chad C.

#6: Post by Chad C. »

You've got a pretty standard E61 group machine. There's a lot of info on the E61 on this forum, typing it into the Search will give you a good idea of what you have. See also heat exchanger or "HX" machine.

Yours looks to be of average quality build and uses many non-proprietary parts, which makes it easy to get parts for. Commercial machines have a way of endearing themselves to you, it might be yours for life!

Have fun and keep posting your progress.

GeoffH (original poster)

#7: Post by GeoffH (original poster) »

pressure washed the frame and it came out shiny black again so decided not to paint the frame. Tank is still soaking. It is down to bare copper above the water line but still has scale below the water line. Will check it in the AM. Most of the tubes and the rest of the machine have been cleaned and prepped for assembly. Still meed to take the shell in to get powder coated this coming week but should have the machine assembled by Sunday or Monday. Hope to get final assembly by next weekend with it's new color.

GeoffH (original poster)

#8: Post by GeoffH (original poster) »

Assembled the unit today and fired it up. Everything works on it. Water button is giving me a mixture of steam and water so I'll check the angle of the down pipe. I suspect it is on the edge of the water and steam and needs to be turned. No leaks and water on the shots hits the cup at 195 degrees. I'm happy. The powder coat shop is a little late. I may have them paint the Super Jolly to match it. The shell is going to be a dark wine color. Would look nice with the jolly in the same color.

GeoffH (original poster)

#9: Post by GeoffH (original poster) »

Got the grinder dialed in with the Promac. Shots are pulling in 24-26 seconds and getting nice lemon zest notes on the espresso. I'm happy. Can't wait to get the color on it.

GeoffH (original poster)

#10: Post by GeoffH (original poster) »

And at last it is done. Everything works and it looks good IMO.