Profitec Pro 700, Steam Output

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Javagerry

#1: Post by Javagerry »

I'm new to H-B and I've thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to read and learn from others who share this "oh so noble calling"! Although I've seen occasional references to steam in other threads, a new thread may be the best way to get an answer to a steaming question that I have about my Profitec Pro 700. As a bit of background, it's a 115V 15A machine which I purchased in Canada last November. (For purposes of comparing it to other Pro 700 machines, it's the late 2014 version which has the stainless covers on the drip tray supports, a drain hole in the drip pan, and a 4 hole steam tip.)

When I first got the machine and as a first time user of a "real espresso machine", I was a bit overwhelmed by the quantity of steam that it produced, and I even considered installing a steam nozzle with fewer than the 4 holes that came with the machine. Fortunately I quickly learned to use and enjoy the vigorous steam output. Then after about 2 months of home use, the steam output dropped off significantly, and it was taking about 2 minutes to get 10 oz. of milk up to temperature. After removing the tip and then the entire steam wand, I found some brown sticky gunk in the threads of the fitting where the wand swivels, and some of it in the steam tip itself. I'm assuming that what I found was some "lube and sealant gunk" from the factory, but maybe someone out there is going to tell me that I was seeing milk which had made its way up the steam wand.

Anyway, after cleaning the swivel joint as well as the tip, the steam output was much improved but I don't believe that it ever returned to its original output. Currently, the machine idles at about 1.2 B (255 F) but it drops off to 1.0 or 0.9 B within about 10 seconds of starting to steam. Naturally the pressure continues to drop while steaming and it usually drops slightly below the green zone, to 0.85 B before finishing about 8 oz. of milk in around 40 seconds. The drop in pressure is even more pronounced if I steam immediately after pulling a shot because of the brew boiler heating priority. On such occasions, the steam pressure can drop to 0.7 or even 0.5B within 20 seconds or so. I've watched videos of the Pro 700 putting out shots almost continuously, but I know my unit couldn't even come close to doing that.

So, I'm interested to know if my experiences are unique or are they similar to what other Pro 700 users are experiencing?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

lagoon

#2: Post by lagoon »

Assuming your steam boiler temp is around 124 to 126 degrees, you should be seeing very high performance steaming. Have you tried re-saving the steam boiler temp via the PID menu?

Otherwise, maybe some clogging or a partial blockage of the steam wand?

Javagerry (original poster)

#3: Post by Javagerry (original poster) »

Thanks Steve. Yes I've set the temp via the PDI, both upwards, and then back to 255 F or 124 C. Maybe I should bump it up a bit, but I'm at sea level, so boiling temps are real here. Clogging may still be an issue, but that shouldn't affect the quantity of steam available in the boiler. I will do another cleaning of the swivel area and see what that does.

I'm assuming that other Pro 700 users have observed the silicone tube that extends down the tube and into the steam nozzel? Mine extends about 1/2" out the tube when the nozzel is removed. Sound right? I once read that someone removed that tube as its apparent purpose is to act as an insulator to keep the metal tube somewhat cool to the touch.

chuckcoffee

#4: Post by chuckcoffee »

Javagerry
The drop in pressure is even more pronounced if I steam immediately after pulling a shot because of the brew boiler heating priority. On such occasions, the steam pressure can drop to 0.7 or even 0.5B within 20 seconds or so.
As an experiment to see the impact of this power splitting between brew(priority) and steam boiler on steaming performance try steaming first. This will give full priority to the steam boiler.

neutro

#5: Post by neutro »

As an owner of the Pro 700, I find your mention of brown gunk stuck into the steam wand pretty distressing. I didn't see any comparable drop in steam power yet (got the machine in mid-December from IDC).

Could this be cooked milk inside the wand? Do you always purge the steam wand after steaming milk?