Profitec Pro 700, plumbed drip tray won't drain.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
spearfish25

#1: Post by spearfish25 »

Today was my endeavor to get my Profitec Pro 700 drip tray plumbed to a bucket or 5 gal water bottle under the 'espresso station'. I took out the drip tray and installed the little water catch that comes with the unit. Let's call it the 'trap'. The trap has a barbed fitting for 5/8" OD, 1/2" ID vinyl tubing to fit over. I ran this tubing directly down to the bottle below the unit without any Us in the tubing (up and down 'S's in the run). I also worked out all the kinks by wrapping some duct tape around the areas to minimize flow restriction. Then I went to test it, dumped some water in the drip tray, and the trap under the tray just overflows all over without much going out the barbed fitting and down the tube. WTF? I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I'm typically not an idiot but feel like one right now :oops:

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

I can't see the bottle so I'm just wondering if there is a means for the air to escape as fluid goes in?

spearfish25 (original poster)

#3: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Yeah, it's just dunked in there but above the water level. I just did a Home Depot run to upsize to reinforced wall 3/4" ID hose. Also put a tee in and ran some hose vertically for a vent. Seems to drain better. It's fine for small volumes but dumping 15-20oz will overflow the trap. A better design would be to put a right angle fitting directly on the drip tray hole but it wouldn't be easily removable then. The trap is so close to the counter that it's easily overwhelmed and overflows with higher volumes.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Does the drip tray sit directly on top of the catch cup or is there an air space between the two? If there is no air space you might need to drill a hole near the top of the cup.
LMWDP 267

spearfish25 (original poster)

#5: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) »

Even with the drip tray off completely the trap was barely draining at all. There's a bit of a gap. Enough for water to leak everywhere when it overflows. But upsizing the tubing and adding the vent seem to have helped.