Professional Service for La Marzocco GS/3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

I was visiting a local espresso part shop the other day, when a service tech for one of the larger commercial machine sellers (not an LM vendor) came in. I mentioned I had a GS/3 and would be in the market some day for a good tech. As I expected, he said he could do it. When I asked him if he had any experience with LM paddles, he admitted he didn't, but assured me it wouldn't be a problem.

I then mentioned LM USA had just posted a video on servicing their paddles. He asked to see it, and we both watched or, more accurately, he watched the video, and I watched his jaw drop on the table. Word to the wise: if you use a professional service tech on a GS/3, be sure they are experienced with LM's, especially for the paddle models. I don't expect this to be a problem in Los Angeles, but could be in other regions.
Marshall
Los Angeles

tekomino

#2: Post by tekomino »

If I understand that correctly and his jaw dropped at the complexity of the paddle service I must say that tech is clueless. I don't consider myself super handy but I serviced paddle without much trouble.

If "seasoned" tech repair guy considers that complex then he is in the wrong profession.

Marshall (original poster)

#3: Post by Marshall (original poster) replying to tekomino »

He had never seen an LM "paddle extraction tool" in his many years of service nor had any idea what was involved in servicing a paddle. Watching the video for the first time, he had no way of knowing whether he could safely and efficiently extract the module without the special tool. If you sat him down and gave him some time with his own tools, I'm sure he could have figured it out. I just wouldn't want to be his first experiment.

It must be very frustrating to live as a genius in a world of clueless idiots.
Marshall
Los Angeles

tekomino

#4: Post by tekomino »

It is frustrating to hear that someone with many years of experience would balk at unscrewing like 6 screws most and pulling out couple of seals. That is unthinkable!

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

I looked a the LM parts PDF and rebuild instructions and then found and watched the video HERE on YouTube. I found that the process itself is a relatively simple one, only requiring one special tool, and after watching that video I would not hesitate to rebuild that group (if I had one, had the parts on hand, and if I had the extraction tool). The complicated nature of the group could have an unfamiliar tech wondering what LM was thinking when they designed it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

tekomino

#6: Post by tekomino »

Randy, it is not only that, but you don't even need specialized tool. Just take long needle nose pliers, wrap each end with electrical tape, put them into the group, slightly expand and pull up. That's it!

#7: Post by Marshall (original poster) replying to tekomino »

Which would not be obvious from looking at the video. Also, a tech has to worry about whether his handiwork will put a machine out of commission for a couple of days and just how equipment-safe jerry-built tools are vs. purpose-built tools.
Marshall
Los Angeles

tekomino

#8: Post by tekomino »

I suggest you call techs like the ones that work at Chris Coffee and ask them what they recommend... Just suggestion...

#9: Post by Marshall (original poster) replying to tekomino »

CC sells and services La Marzocco's. As I said, this fellow did not and was also not familiar with paddles. In point of fact, I believe he works on, among other machines, very high-end commercial superautos that are no picnic to repair. What I am calling out here is the assumption that other people are clueless incompetents, based on precious little information.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Randy G.

#10: Post by Randy G. »

Marshall wrote:...What I am calling out here is the assumption that other people are clueless incompetents, based on precious little information.
I agree. There is a big difference between ignorant and incompetence. I would have a lot more respect for a tech that would tell me they do not have experience with that group so would not work on it than I would with a tech that says, "Sure, I'll take a look and see what I can do."

"HEY TONY! Bring me my big hammer!"

When I taught 6th grade, I would have students occasionally ask me a question to which I did not have an answer. I would respond, "I don't know." Then I would ask them, "Do you know what percentage of teachers are honest enough to say I don't know?"
"No, Mr. G. How many?"
"I don't know."

Right now, on my workbench, I have a fairly-well disassembled Vibiemme DS to have the main frame powder coated. I had no hesitation doing that because 1, it is a simple machine, and 2, I have experience and knowledge of the machine. Before seeing that video I would never have considered opening a GS/3. After seeing it I think it would be a simple job, as I mentioned before. I would also use better tools than shown in the video. An adjustable wrench on the top nut? I don't think so. He didn't even have it fully on the nut...

Use a jury-rigged tool to pull those parts out of a $6500 group? I don't think so. As touchy as the O-rings can be (or at least as often as some owners report having to change them), why make things worse taking a chance at marring any of those surfaces. It just isn't worth the risk, and the tool makes the removal of all those parts simple. I would prefer to see the tool work as a puller instead of a slide hammer, but there you go.. LM didn't call me when they designed it,, :wink:

But I agree that if a tech sees that video and still does not feel comfortable working on that GS/3 group. I would find another tech as well.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done