Problems with old Nuova Simonelli Elli, need help!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CJMcafe

#1: Post by CJMcafe »

Hello everyone,

Can anybody tell me a little more about this unit

Its a NS Elli Manual fill HX unit

Got it from a friend cleaning out his basement.

While researching online it says its almost 30yrs old but it has plastic burgundy plastic around it and clean as it was brand new BUT:

came with no PF, tried my commercial PF from my Adonis and Optima and slightly bigger?

I have no idea what the knobs, switchs and button mean?

Takes 30 mins the boil, manual HX, so no water gets filled unless I manual do so?

Nothing comes out of steam wand.... does it even have hot water?

Descaling? Flush? I'm all puzzled

Can anyone point to me any resources?

Thanks in advance!

bez2go

#2: Post by bez2go »

Hi, Not sure if you have sorted it all out but I have an identical machine -first built 1974.Re: controls 1.rocker switch on right is merely on/off ;heating 2. indicator light underneath extinguishes once correct temp reached 3. circular red push button on left corner is manual boiler filler activation,with mine --only functions while machine below operating temp (i.e. indicator light is on) First check boiler water level by looking for meniscus fluid level in sight glass (correct levels should be marked-if not approx half way );switch machine on and immediately depress and hold boiler fill button until correct level pumped into boiler. If this does not work you have a problem .Also I could not see a level on my machine because it was overfilled (I reduced level by taking off top cover ,unscrewing top of sight glass and inserting a tube on the end of a syringe and sucking water out . Be careful of sight GLASS!! 4.centrally placed lever,turn to 9o'clock activates water piping to grouphead and electrical contact to pump NOTE: my machine has a pressure switch attached to water reservoir such that will not pump if water level too low. (I have modified this to create a easily removable larger volume tank using a Breville Cafe Roma tank and the base plate into which it push fits and obviously bypassed pressure switch which is located back left of machine. Turning lever anti CW to 3 o'clock acts as pressure discharge(do after making coffee). Machine is quite simple but you DO need the correct portafilter (very shallow) as there is not much cup height available. Produces excellent coffee once temperature is correct (adjustable via pressure switch behind sight glass to right of boiler, and grind/tamp appropriate. Pump can be noisy when making coffee but noise markedly reduced with 'slow' (correct)pour eg 25 seconds Hope that helps ,I do have a parts book and some parts are still available especially in USA Contact me if you need more inf (bez2go@gmail.com)