Problem with Vibiemme Domobar Super Brew Pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jahinton

#1: Post by jahinton »

I have had my Vibiemme Domobar Super for about 7 years. For the first 2 years it was used in a commercial setting. For the last 5 it has been used at home pulling about 2 shots per day. Recently, it seems to have completely lost pressure. The brew pressure gauge doesn't go above 2-4 even with a blind portafilter. The water just trickles out. Today I have attempted to descale it. When I get to the step where the autofill wire is disconnected and I am trying to get a solid stream out of the steam wand, nothing comes out. Does it sound like I need a new pump or is something else the culprit?

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Vibe pump reservoir model? Have you checked to see if water is returning to the reservoir? It could be the pressure relief valve needs to be disassembled (adjustment screw, spring, piston).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

jahinton (original poster)

#3: Post by jahinton (original poster) »

Where do I find the vibe pump reservoir model? I checked and water is returning to the reservoir at a fast drip. I've tried to disassemble the OPV but could only get the adjustment screw and spring out. Couldn't seem to get the piston out. Perhaps I need more instruction...

JmanEspresso

#4: Post by JmanEspresso »

He means, do you have a machine with a vibe pump, and is it plumbed in, or does it use a reservoir. (So, if yes, your machine would be described as a Vibe pump, Reservoir Model. As opposed to a Rotary Pump, Plumbed Model)

My first thought is yes, a new pump is in order.

#5: Post by jahinton (original poster) »

Yes. It is a reservoir model.

#6: Post by jahinton (original poster) »

Reservoir - vibratory model.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

The piston has to come out. It looks just like a piston with a the flat top away from you when the adjustment screw is removed. Use a pick, screwdriver or even a pair of two smaller screwdrivers to grasp the inside of the piston and pull it out (don't muck up the threads inside the relief valves body. Inspect the bore for sludge, corrosion, scale, etc. Clean as necessary (which may require removal), lube with a THIN coat of Dow 111 or equivalent, and reassemble. It may need a new spring- there were a few (number unknown) in 2007 that came with the wrong OPV spring in them.

You could remove the pump's output hose and kludge together a pressure gauge to test it separately.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Or, put the OPV back together WITHOUT the spring and start the pump. That should free that pesky little "piston".

I would order some replacement parts from this site - http://espressocare.com/ from which I took the slightly modified drawing below. In particular, this part - http://espressocare.com/Qstore/Qstore.c ... me+OPV+Kit

You will also LIKELY need a new pump - the existing one has paid its dues.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com