Problem Direct Plumbing Vibiemme Domobar Super 2B

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jjack

#1: Post by jjack »

Hi,
I recently purchased a VBM Dommobar Super 2B to upgrade from my trusty Bezzera BZ07, but so far my experience has not been great. After first receiving the machine from 1st Line, I discovered a cracked check valve due to the fact the machine had water in it and with the cold winter, it apparently froze and cracked the valve body. I had to order a new valve from Estefano's Espresso Care, as the one 1st Line sent me, never arrived.

This apparently solved my problems until I decided to direct plumb the machine. After making all the plumbing connections, including inline carbon filter, I activated the rotary pump but no water would come out. First I rechecked everything:
- Water coming out of disconnected braided hose - check
- Valve selection turned to left side - check
- Screw to press down low water level switch - check

Tried again, nothing. I contacted 1st Line Equipment again, but this time have not even received a reply. Any ideas where to start looking for a solution to my problem. The machine works fine with the tank, but it is very small and I have to keep refilling it.

Thanks.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

How recently did you get the machine?
Have you tried switching back to reservoir and running it that way?
Switch the valve back and forth a couple of time- maybe somethings wrong there...? A stretch, to be sure.
I have a few theories, but the only thing I would consider is sending it back. This just isn't right, regardless as to the price of the machine.
If in fact the check valve failed due to being exposed to freezing temperature, I would think that the odds are good that other damage was done as well.

I would hope that 1st-Line is either having problems there (lines down from a storm, etc.) or maybe they have gone to Seattle for the show...? It's unlike them to have these sorts of communication problems in my experience.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

. . . but it is very small and I have to keep refilling it.
I realize that Vibiemme has downsized the size of their reservoir but still, it is pretty large. With the PID set at the proper temperature, you should be doing a very brief screen flush (like 1 second maybe) and then brewing immediately. You must be brewing a lot of espresso? :) or steaming huge quantities of milk? :)

If the machine runs perfectly or reasonably well in reservoir mode, something is amiss with your plumbing. With the machine turned off, lift the lever and see that you have AROUND 2.0 to 2.5 bar on the brew pressure gage with the machine set up for direct plumb.

RG - Carlos is in Columbia, South America, so returning the machine should be very, very low on the option list. :)
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jjack (original poster)

#4: Post by jjack (original poster) »

@Randy G. The machine was purchased last month, but the problem as @eric said, I am in Colombia, South America, so sending the machine back would be very hard/expensive. Cheaper/easier is to try and fix myself the problem.
After my second email to 1st Line, Jim has responded that he was on vacation.
The machine runs well on reservoir. I have tried several times to switch from one source to the other, but no success. The brew pressure gauge shows no pressure at all, so I think the blockage is total.
Stefano's Espresso Care has suggested I check if water is reaching the braided hose that connects to the pump inside the machine. Will try this, and let you know.
@eric, although I am an espresso junkie, the problem is having the machine stop mid extraction, only to ruin my cup, thus I would prefer the direct connection. Guess if everything failed I could live with the machine on reservoir, but definitely not ideal considering investment in equipment so far.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Well sure, Stefano is correct, but water should not only reach the connection to the pump but should flow like there is "no tomorrow" - at least a gallon per minute.

Operate the machine off the reservoir with PROPER water until this problem is resolved and even then some. It takes a long time (several months) to get "married" to a new machine and reservoir operation is the best way to go for this period.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jjack (original poster)

#6: Post by jjack (original poster) »

So after doing this:

I found the braided hose from the connection elbow to the valve is completely obstructed. Going to try to unblock it using a hard wire if I can find a wire hanger around. Otherwise ordering one from Stefano's.

(Sorry for rotated image, once uploaded it ended up that way)

jjack (original poster)

#7: Post by jjack (original poster) »

Found a wire hanger. The hose was clogged with a green stuff, sort of like a sulfate. Assembled and now working properly. :D

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

"Lo siento mucho Sr."
I missed the Colombian location.

I would remove that hose and run some strong cleaning agent of some sort through it. Then rinse it out with some good pressure and blow it clean with compressed air. Whatever that is you don't want it going through the pump and then the valves and into the boilers.

Also, flush the boilers out a couple of times once you get water flowing.

And if anyone wonders if a machine might be exposed to freezing temperatures when shipped to Colombia, check out this video of a hail storm last month in Bogota!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

jjack (original poster)

#9: Post by jjack (original poster) »

Randy,
You are right about the hail storm recently, but the machine apparently froze when shipped from NJ (1st Line) to Miami.
Thanks for the cleaning suggestions. Will do.

jjack (original poster)

#10: Post by jjack (original poster) »

And here is a picture of the cracked valve. Incredible what water can do.