Pressurestat replacement options for Sanremo Treviso

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
adi84g

#1: Post by adi84g »

Hi,

I've been experiencing lately problems with my Pstat on HX Sanremo Treviso.It became fuzzy, deadband drifting from 0.35 to a max.of 0.8 bars.For the moment I nailed a good position where it works in the range of 0.95-1.30 bars.

The machine uses this type http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/La-Nuo ... 3p5237.htm pressurestat.Mine is a Ma-ter.This is way too expensive for what I'm willing to pay.
A Ma-ter xp110 is 40$ and way batter from what I've read.

My choices are:

1.Use the existing Pstat and install a SSR;

2.Make a modification and install a Sirai or a normal Ma-ter xp110.

The second choice would mean installing a safety valve and a pressure reader.My pressure reader is connected on the back of fitting, showed in the image.

For choice 1 to work, do I need a perfectly working Pstat?

Do I have a better option?

Thanks!
Adi

CCS_56_EX

#2: Post by CCS_56_EX »

I'm also interested in the answer to this. My 4 year old Sirai recently died, and I replaced it with another Sirai just to get back up and running quickly, but I'm not very impressed with it.

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Sirai pressurestat's are tanks. I have used machines that were as old as me and still running on their Sirai. You can also rebuild them when they start to act up. You replace the diaphragm, clean the points and you are good for another 10 or 15 years. The contacts are rated for 30 amps so you just pipe the element right through it, no SSR needed.
Dave Stephens

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:
adi84g wrote: My choices are:
1. Use the existing Pstat and install a SSR;
---
For choice 1 to work, do I need a perfectly working Pstat?
Yes, as it is the PStat that manages the SSR.
adi84g wrote: Do I have a better option?
Yes.
A Sirai (impossible to destruct and always rebuidable) or (from what I have read), a Mater xp110.
Check Paul Pratt's take on the issue of Pstats.
http://www.espresso-restorations.com/p-stats.html

Cheers,

CIV

adi84g (original poster)

#5: Post by adi84g (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

Everybody says Sirais are loud...but how load are they?

Wouldn't it be bulky for a 1.8 liter boiler & 1.5 KW heating element as mine?
Is there a minimum on which it operates optimum?

Sorry for the newbie questions :)

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

adi84g wrote:Everybody says Sirais are loud...but how load are they?

May not be that much louder than your existing one. If your house is really quiet you may hear the click when it goes on and off in the next room.
adi84g wrote:Wouldn't it be bulky
The Sirai is much larger than what you have now, may not fit. If it does, you would get contacts that are rated for 20 or 30 amps, and would have one or two spare contact sets, (depends on the model) so the contacts might last decades. The diaphragm would wear out first, but that's rebuild-able. You can get size info and specs on Sirai models on the last page of this pdf: http://www.sirai.com/pdf/caffe.pdf

A 16amp Mater xp110 should fit nicely and has a comparable amperage rating to your XP700 (which also appears to be 16amp.) Since it does a lot of switching and carries the full load of the element in your machine, the contacts may burn out in a few years. But then it's a fairly easy and inexpensive part to replace. If you wanted it to last forever you could rig it up with a mechanical relay or SSR.
adi84g wrote:2.Make a modification and install a Sirai or a normal Ma-ter xp110.
The second choice would mean installing a safety valve and a pressure reader.My pressure reader is connected on the back of fitting, showed in the image.
Are you sure of that? I think you should be able to keep your brass fitting with the safety valve and gauge connector and just replace the pStat. I think it probably takes a 1/4" male pStat.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

CCS_56_EX

#7: Post by CCS_56_EX »

Be aware that Sirai has multiple sized pressurestats. One is the commercial version, which has the boiler connection towards one end, and is larger. The other is a more compact version, with the boiler connection in the middle. It is my understanding they both share the same diaphragms.

I do notice the Sirai clicking. It isn't annoying, and doesn't wake me up in the morning. If anything I like it, because it lets me know when I accidentally left the machine on. The noise level is similar to the oven when it clicks on.

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#8: Post by homeburrero »

Also the Mater XP110 comes in various forms. The same model number, XP110, is used for P-Stats with different connection sizes (1/8, 1/4, and 3/8) and, surprisingly, with different pressure ranges, so take care when ordering.
Pat

adi84g (original poster)

#9: Post by adi84g (original poster) »

Thanks for the good info.

I guess that a Sirai could fit inside and would be a reliable option.
Ma-ter xp110 is also appealing due to it's tight dead-band.

Unfortunetly things look like the pics in the attachement.

The p-stat cannot be taken off the fitting, it's one piece.

Either way I go, mods are required.Not sure what I'm gonna do with the pressure reader...

homeburrero
Team HB

#10: Post by homeburrero »

adi84g wrote:Unfortunetly things look like the pics in the attachement.The p-stat cannot be taken off the fitting, it's one piece.
Adi -
Something is amiss with your uploaded photos. They aren't visible in the post (but I can see them once I start editing a reply.) Your pStat/valve assembly looks a bit different than the replacement part.

That is a bummer that they've integrated the pStat stem with the safety valve. Rigging your system with fittings so that you can put a standard pStat, standard safety valve, and a gauge fitting seems doable, but will be tedious getting all the right fittings. You would become expert in BSP fittings in the process.
Pat