Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 271

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
beanhopper737

#2701: Post by beanhopper737 »

I admit to being a little defeated by the whole pre-infusion thing. I have experimented with lifting the brew lever to the intermediate position for varying lengths of time, up to 10-seconds perhaps, but I don't think I'm getting any pre-infusion going on. Occasionally I'll remove the portafilter to check and it is always as dry as a bone.
I have wondered if I reset my pressure regulator to allow higher source pressure that this might force some water through the system, but I am reluctant to do this because I think I might cause damage to my pump. It is now "resting" at around 1 bar of pressure, and I think it may not be wise to increase the resting pressure.
I'm interested in pre-infusing, however, if I can do it safely. I've wondered what happens if I fully engage the pump for a few seconds (not sure I've got the right terminology here -- by raising the brew lever all the way) and then lower the brew lever, wait a few seconds, and then restart the extraction, after I've actually pumped some water into the group...could this be considered pre-infusion of sorts.
I can't help but think this sounds ludicrous to an experienced barista, but that's where my head is at this point. Still scratching.

kwantfm

#2702: Post by kwantfm »

beanhopper737 wrote:I've wondered what happens if I fully engage the pump for a few seconds (not sure I've got the right terminology here -- by raising the brew lever all the way) and then lower the brew lever, wait a few seconds, and then restart the extraction, after I've actually pumped some water into the group...could this be considered pre-infusion of sorts.
I can't help but think this sounds ludicrous to an experienced barista, but that's where my head is at this point. Still scratching.
I too have a Profitec 700 and that is exactly what I do. I engage the pump for 5 seconds (one of the things I use the shot timer for), it will have just hit 9 bar, and then wait for first drops of espresso to fall into the cup. I've found this allows me to grind significantly finer and I love the results in terms of enzymatic flavours and increased body.
LMWDP #602

espressosf

#2703: Post by espressosf »

Hi all,

Here is my setup, Vibiemme Double Boiler V4.0 and Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic on dedicated Ikea kitchen island.

The machine is plumbed-in, 3M water filter followed by pressure regulator.

Since I currently rent, to avoid drilling the counter top or the cabinet, I draw water from shut-off valve under the sink and ran the water supply line through the soap dispenser hole in the counter top.

bluesman

#2704: Post by bluesman »

espressosf wrote:I draw water from shut-off valve under the sink and ran the water supply line through the soap dispenser hole in the counter top.
Now THAT'S inventive! I never thought of doing it, and it makes perfect sense. We own our house, but it's still an excellent way to run the water line (and very wife-friendly, I hope....) Thanks!!

David

OctagonCoffee

#2705: Post by OctagonCoffee »

This is my set up..., or not set up but equipments.
From the left: coffee beans in a container, Hario mini mill grinder, 20 oz pitcher & thermometer, Bialetti Moka Express, Bellman Stovetop Steamer.
Once I get good at making good steamed milk, I might want to post a video of how I make cappuccino or latte with this... :D

espressosf

#2706: Post by espressosf »

bluesman wrote:Now THAT'S inventive! I never thought of doing it, and it makes perfect sense. We own our house, but it's still an excellent way to run the water line (and very wife-friendly, I hope....) Thanks!!

David
Indeed, wife happy, landlord happy and I get to keep my coffee obsession.

Gary

Randy G.

#2707: Post by Randy G. »

beanhopper737 wrote:I admit to being a little defeated by the whole pre-infusion thing. I have experimented with lifting the brew lever to the intermediate position for varying lengths of time, up to 10-seconds perhaps, but I don't think I'm getting any pre-infusion going on. Occasionally I'll remove the portafilter to check and it is always as dry as a bone..
If you have a plumbed, E-61, and you are lifit the lever to the middle position, you should NOT be getting any preinfusion at all. The lever has to be moved to the point of resistance in the middle position as you lift it, and then just a little bit more, which should be before the pump comes on. Try it with the portafilter removed. If you can't get it to work like that you may need to adjust the depth of the pump activation switch.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

homeburrero
Team HB

#2708: Post by homeburrero »

espressosf wrote:on dedicated Ikea kitchen island.
I do like that island - looks good and is about the right size. I shopped Ikea, but never saw it before, because I was searching 'kitchen islands & carts' selection when I should have been looking in their 'Free-standing kitchens' selection. (At the moment, see this link.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

beanhopper737

#2709: Post by beanhopper737 »

Now that sounds very promising! Thank you kind sir! If I weren't dealing with a little excessive caffeine levels I would try it right now...but my normal constitution is in an absolute uproar since the new machine arrived...I'll try your suggestion first thing tomorrow. This is going to be great!

CarolinaPete

#2710: Post by CarolinaPete »

First off, let me say "Howdy Y'all" to everyone here. I am an espresso newbie and have been hunting for a machine in my admittedly paltry budget range. I actually found one!
This Kitchenaid Proline cost me $40.00 and a trip to Charlotte. I know, it was a little high but I have heard these were fairly good machines and I decided to take the plunge.
After a very thorough cleaning and de-scaling, I made a double shot of espresso that didn't taste too bad.

Pete