www.paradiseroasters.com: passion for coffees of distinction and quality

Post a pic of your home espresso setup... - Page 22

Postby lud on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:53 pm

T2ellis wrote:... where did you get the cool looking lid for the doser on your Kony? It really sets it off and gives it a nice look! T2

Welcome aboard T2ellis.
I was searching around the house for something that would fit and look good. My wife had purchased the Bodum Press Eileen 12 cup (1.5L or 50.7oz) but I was hardly using it since I mostly serve espresso/espresso based drinks when I have guests over. I noticed that the chrome lid was nearly a perfect fit for the doser. The chrome lid is only a cover for the plastic top of the Bodum so it still functions perfectly once you carefully remove it. Once I had chrome lid removed, I found that the knobs on my kitchen cabinetry was a nice complement. Luckily, I had an extra one so I used that one, cut the fastener (screw) a bit shorter, added a washer and fixed it to the lid. When I compare it to the stock lid, I have to agree that it makes it a LOT nicer. I noticed the 1.5L Eileen is not listed on the bodumusa.com site, and is listed, but currently unavailable on amazon.com. However, it is available here: http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/c...2d6a381541b400100b.

It's not an inexpensive item so I wouldn't recommend buying one for the sole purpose of using the chrome lid as a doser mod, although knowing my wife, I bet she paid less than $40 for it using discounts, coupons.

Obviously, I can't use my hopper with where I have my grinder currently placed, but I noticed that one of my pot lids will make a perfect fit if I ever get around to building my espresso station in the kitchen that will accomodate the hopper. The rule of thumb I use is to first look for something around the house that I can reuse. It may not come to you right away, but if you are persistent, you may find a gem in the rough, so to speak.

DigMe wrote:... Very nice setup. What do you think about those steaming pitchers as far as steaming and latte art go?

Thanks, Brad.
I am by no means an expert at steaming, but I did manage to get one to work this morning. As compared to my traditional steaming pitcher, I find that I have to switch over from surf to stretch a bit earlier. With my old one, I would surf the steam tip until my thermometer (yes, I still need the assistance of a thermometer) read 80F before plunging the wand. With the Toroid, I stop surfing when the temperature reads 60-65F (I use "read" because the actual temperature will vary depending on the type of thermometer you are using, and the power of your steam wand due to lag). When I stretch, I don't plunge as deeply as I would with my old pitcher since there is a dimple at the bottom of the new pitcher to create the toroid effect.
Again, I am still trying to get comfortable with this pitcher so take my experience with a big grain of salt. I have searched for tips on how others are finding this pitcher myself since I "miss" way more often than I "hit" when using the Toroid.
The relentless pursuit of espression.
lud

Postby zin1953 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:30 am

Not truly a duplicate, as now I have the Cimbali Max Hybrid . . .

(LtoR: Bumper tamper and knockbox; La Valentina Auto [with inox espresso and cappuccino cups on top]; Quick Mill Doserless; La Cimbali Max Hybrid. The electronic seven-day timer is out of sight behind the CMH, and the Bodum Pavina latté cups are behind the QM.)

Hey -- it works for me!

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.
zin1953

Postby T2ellis on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:36 am

lud,

Thanks a bunch for the info regarding the the Bodum lid for your Kony. The doser diameter of my SJ is also 4 3/4", so I'll keep a look out for a lid that will fit. I have a friend who is a bowl turner, maybe I'll have him make me up two lids (doser and hopper) out of cherry, maple or some exotic wood, could look pretty neat?

Many thanks!

T2
T2ellis

Postby oofnik on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Alright, I've got a new setup in my dorm. It's pretty compact and portable: Gaggia Factory and a redesigned Trosser hand grinder on steroids (details if interested). I'll use the SM90 monster if I'm feeling lazy and serving more than one person. Usually though it's just sitting there looking scary. :shock:

P.S. Nice update to the site, Dan, I like it!
oofnik

Postby laservet on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Hurricane Ernesto put four huge trees and 10" of water into our house September 2006, taking it down to the studs. My wife suggested converting an unused part of the kitchen into my coffee bar, partly to get my stuff out of her way. Nearly finished with the rebuilding of the house, here is my man cave. :)

GS/3, Versalab grinder and packer, Bunn pourover on left to be replaced by plumbed in Bunn, 34" LCD on the right, wine cooler beneath, sound in the ceiling.

laservet

Postby networkcrasher on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 am

Suhweet setup!

Sheerly out of curiousity, what color is your granite called? It looks an awful lot like mine which is Verde Pearl or Green Pearl or something. Looks black at night, but has a green cast during the daylight.
networkcrasher

Postby ljcoffeeguy on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:17 am

Hi all,
Just got my Andreja Premium and Macap M4 doserless last Thursday from ChrisCoffee.com A couple of small issues but they have been responsive and will be taking care of me (waiting for the shipment...will update).

I had a Starbucks Buon Caffe 330 for 10 years and then didn't drink espress drinks, because it was a pretty bad machine. Then tried a couple other machines such as a Delonghi for about $400. My last 4 machines in the last year and a half were Breville 800esxl. I don't know why, but various problems.....luckily I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond. Returned the last one and the wife got a new KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer, in tangerine, of course.

The Andreja and Macap reside in the space that used to be a double oven. We removed that old frigidaire double oven, finished it out, changed the 220 volt 30 amp line to a 110 volt 20 amp, added a shelf for the microwave and also a coffe bar.

My father in law built a rectangular cart with a 1/2 inch lip all around and we placed in on bearing slides. So, the cart is pulled back when not it use, and when needed it slides out 12 inches to make units more accessible for grind / brew, etc. etc.

One thing that I installed last night was a "Wok Wand" also known as a "pot filler." You can see it in the upper left corner. The water is off when its 90 degrees off base, or flat against the wall. When I move the wand handle straight forward water comes out. I also hooked this us to the reverse osmosis water filter with 3/8" line. This is how I will be filling the unit....just move the cup holder up a bit, move the wand, wait 30 seconds, move wand back. Anybody else think about doing this, or am I OCD? (or too cheap to get the auto-fill water connect kit?

Let me know what you think...
Darren from Lake Jackson, TX
Image Image
ljcoffeeguy

Postby HB on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:21 am

highstrings wrote:My father in law built a rectangular cart with a 1/2 inch lip all around and we placed in on bearing slides. So, the cart is pulled back when not it use, and when needed it slides out 12 inches to make units more accessible for grind / brew, etc. etc.

Slick idea, the extension would work especially well when steaming milk.
Dan Kehn
HB

Postby laservet on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:22 am

networkcrasher wrote:Sheerly out of curiousity, what color is your granite called? It looks an awful lot like mine which is Verde Pearl or Green Pearl or something. Looks black at night, but has a green cast during the daylight.

Small world!! It's Emerald Pearl. When we ordered it at the granite place it looked black with large silver flakes in it. I even asked the guy why it was called Emerald when I couldn't see any green at all. Installed it looks black until we turn the lights on it, then it has a distinct green color. Nice with the cream tile, cherry cabinets, and stainless appliances.
laservet

Postby networkcrasher on Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:03 pm

laservet wrote:Small world!! It's Emerald Pearl. When we ordered it at the granite place it looked black with large silver flakes in it. I even asked the guy why it was called Emerald when I couldn't see any green at all. Installed it looks black until we turn the lights on it, then it has a distinct green color. Nice with the cream tile, cherry cabinets, and stainless appliances.

Haha, yep! That's the one! Emerald pearl. I thought the same thing when I was out in the granite yard picking out slabs. I didn't see as much of the green, just the blacks, silvers and the pearl. Got a great deal, then saw the green come out at the house.

That's pretty cool :-)
networkcrasher