Portafilter loosens during pull - worn grouphead problem?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
turtle

#1: Post by turtle »

I have noticed that the portafilter in my Pasquini livia 90 full auto starts to come loose while the shot is being pulled and starts to leak at the gasket. I can watch it move.

Is this an indication of a worn portafilter or worn head group or both?

Rubber gasket was recently replaced (year or so ago).

I don't want the portafilter to "pop off" during a pull so worried about what to do to "fix"
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

AssafL

#2: Post by AssafL »

Very likely the bayonet engagement "tabs" on the portafilter are wearing down. To verify look at the bottom side of the tabs. They should be visibly worn.

Some group gaskets can be ordered in various thicknesses to compensate (thicker gasket will engage the bayonet tabs lower and thus compensate for the thinning tabs).

Otherwise, probably the portafilter should be replaced.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

turtle (original poster)

#3: Post by turtle (original poster) »

Tabs are worn on one but I have 2 other new (unused) portafilters that exhibit the same problem.

Worn/original PF engages with the handle pointing directly out when tight

New PF are half way to the open (from open to the center) so they have less "wiggle" before popping off.

All are Pasquini branded (from dealer) not "fits Pasquini" portafilters

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

Why don't you start by replacing the pf gasket first, on my old gaggia classic I needed to replace it every year or so.
LMWDP #483

benpiff

#5: Post by benpiff »

How did I know this would be about a Livia 90? I swear, that's the only machine I've had to replace portafilters and/or group heads on.

Bunkmil

#6: Post by Bunkmil »

So I did you fix your problem? I have the exact same machine and my 2 portafilters are starting to leak. The group gasket is brand new and I already changed one thinking that it was the problem.

Dogshot

#7: Post by Dogshot »

Have you tried a good cleaning with Cafiza to get rid of the coffee oils/gunk on the gasket?
LMWDP #106

Bunkmil

#8: Post by Bunkmil replying to Dogshot »

Yes I do backflushes with Cafiza on a regular basis and the group gasket is new.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by emradguy »

Make sure you're not over-stuffing your basket.
LMWDP #748

Bunkmil

#10: Post by Bunkmil »

Actually I'm starting to think that the leak is coming from the gasket that is located at the top of the grouphead and not the gasket that seals the basket.