Portafilter for Wega Mini

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JakeBondo

#1: Post by JakeBondo »

I have just got this beauty. It is a Mini Wega (formula). I am new to making espresso and do not know a ton about this machine. I was wondering if any portafilters would fit or if I have to find a specific portafilter. There is nothing wrong with my current portafilter, but it bothers me that the spouts are not straight. Is that normal?

Here is what I mean

BillRedding

#2: Post by BillRedding »

JakeBondo,

I don't know what size portafilter your Wega uses, but this page shows a portafilter and calls it "Wega/VBM" so if it fits a VMB then is must be the standard 58mm portafilter. So Good News there (nothing weird like Breville's assortment of sizes).

http://www.espressoparts.com/parts/espr ... rtafilters

Note that SOME few 58mm portafilters MAY have slightly different lugs so in those rare cases, the fit to your group-head may not be 100% (sometimes easily solved by using a thinner or thicker group-head gasket), but in MOST cases, a 58mm portafilter is a 58mm portafilter. No difference in fit (but there are differences in weight & quality feeling to them). For one example, my non-E-61 group-head Rancilio Silvia 58mm portafilter fits my Vibiemme E-61 group-head just fine. And frankly, the Rancilio just feels like a better quality portafilter.

See if you can borrow a friend's 58mm and see how it fits on your Wega.

Or contact Wega and ask.

As for your spout being bent, I can't really tell from looking at those 2 pics (it MIGHT be), but if it IS bent, then maybe someone tried to remove the spout and it got bent that way: Some spouts are glued on and REALLY hard to get off -- I have one I definitely can't get off (so far) but haven't damaged it (also so far).

Good luck,

-- BR