Poor extractions and OPV screeching

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cmin

#1: Post by cmin »

EDIT - fixed first issue, see 2nd post for current problem

For some reason shots have been extracting poorly and it's not the grinder as I've checked it. Had a gauge years ago to measure opv pressure but don't know where it is. Pulled the OPV out to check. Had a replacement one from years ago that that Bill sent me as I guess an update as it doesnt look like the original one and it has a screw cap internally for the spring which original didn't. Put the new one in and it squealed and screamed a high pitch, saw vids on here of other machines with same issue mainly Alexas. Put the old one in to see if it did the same now and it just snapped off in the thread when tightening like normal.

How the f' do I fix this lol?!? EDIT - thought I was gonna have to use an extractor but managed to use really small needle pliers and peel away the o-ring and grab the piece that snapped. But new OPV is screaming like a 10yr old girl

Attached pics, can see where it sheared off, opv ball is exposed

Advertisement
cmin (original poster)

#2: Post by cmin (original poster) »

Ok put the new OPV in, and yes its lubed, screaming like a child as you can hear in the vid. Didn't pull a shot as this was just testing and its 9:30PM anyway. But earlier today shots were poor (and have been). I'll get a vid tomorrow of an extraction as well.

Edit - put on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWeUbcjTlCw

cmin (original poster)

#3: Post by cmin (original poster) »

cmin (original poster)

#4: Post by cmin (original poster) »

80 views and nothing? Guess I'll have to buy another machine, feel like I have a paperweight sitting on my counter.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by samuellaw178 »

Screeching sounds like the OPV is working but there's some vibration/resonance in the valve. Can you check if the OPV is okay (a quick disassemble and assemble)?

How is the extraction bad? Seems like it was too fine in the video?

cmin (original poster)

#6: Post by cmin (original poster) replying to samuellaw178 »

Extractions now are just like that or gushing and spraying, no more nice and thick slow flowing extractions. Same grind settings that were working perfect for previous bags of coffee, last two bags of different coffees have been like this. It honestly feels like pressure/waterflow is off from normal. Opv is new and took it apart, looked fine to me. Machine never made that noise before

Contacted Bill but don't know if something happened to him. I know others said they didn't hear back from him anymore and just realized I sent him email in Feb with no response. He used to respond very fast to inquiries over the years. Left a message on his phone as well. Hope nothing happened to him, used to post in here but hasn't in awhile.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by samuellaw178 »

cmin wrote:Extractions now are just like that or gushing and spraying, not the grinder as checked on another machine. Same grind settings that were working perfect for previous bags of coffee. It honestly feels like pressure/waterflow is off from normal. Opv is new and took it apart, looked fine to me.
Is the OPV adjustable? If the OPV is adjustable you may increase the limit at which the valve starts releasing pressure. Maybe the OPV is releasing pressure prematurely - or if the valve are not seating properly, or maybe there's particle stuck inside. Did you descale recently before these happened? The OPV is a simple mechanical part so not much can go wrong - but it has to be clean and sits/aligns properly.

From ChrisCoffee on screeching OPV (Quickmill Anita makes loud squealing noise when pulling shots):
'It's a simple fix. First take the valve apart, clean it, replace the seat, and adjust to the proper setting. The noise is like taking an inflated balloon and pulling the sides of the opening and letting the air out. In essence that is exactly what is happening, high-pressure water is slipping by the seat and make the noise. Some times you can fix it as simply as rotating the adjustment a couple of turns then adjust back to where it was and magically it stops.'

Another possibility is the pump. Does the flow run constantly with no portafilter? Do 3 tests and measure the weight of the water in 30s. If you do a back flush (make sure the OPV is releasing excess pressure when you do this), does the pump sound change/fluctuate at all?

Advertisement
cmin (original poster)

#8: Post by cmin (original poster) »

New OPV looks like this

I'll turn on the machine and check the pump

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by samuellaw178 »

cmin wrote:New OPV looks like this<image>
The OPV is adjustable. When you disassembled it, you'd have to take note how many turns was the adjustment nut screwed in. Otherwise the pressure setting might be incorrect. Ideally, it's better to check the setting with a pressure gauge.

If you did not take note, you can still go by trial & error using the blind adjustment method (cumbersome and not as accurate). Start with the adjustment nut screwed in shallow - maybe 2-3 turns, do a blind flush. Check the water flow (with the silicone tube going into an external container). Then slowly work your way up (screw in further). There's an expected flow rate when the pump is at 9 bar. This post is for Gaggia but the concept is similar (I am just not 100% sure whether CC1 should have the same flow rating as Gaggia). http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.php?topic=231.0

Summary:
The ULKA E5 pumps...will flow about 260 cc/min at 9 bar or about 130 ml in 30 seconds....If close to 12 bar, then the flow will be more like 140 cc/min or about 70 in 30 seconds.

cmin (original poster)

#10: Post by cmin (original poster) »

Yeah it was screwed in as far as possible stock, I did loosen it a lot and no sound but looked/sounded like opv water was coming out weaker when backflushing vs old opv. Thanks for tips