Polishing the brass panels on my machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cyclones

#1: Post by cyclones »

Hi Everyone,
I have been using my M31 Bistro for almost a year now and I am getting great espresso. This has been a wonderful accomplishment and thanks to the good people here, I was able to rebuild it myself. Perhaps the best thing is that I understand its inner workings and can do repairs myself and avoid paying others to maintain it.

I am ready to finish with the restoration and fully reassemble the machine. I have brass outside panels that look less than stellar; the same with the cup rack which is a stainless steel I think. I have used brass polish on the brass and much tarnish came off, but it still doesn't look great. I am trying to figure out if I can have them professionally cleaned up so they look new. I have no idea where to start with that. Same with the cup rack. So far I haven't really found anything about it by searching the forums.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
If given a choice between Starbucks and espresso, I'll choose espresso every time.

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

I used mothers mag and so far it has worked well on all metal that I have tried it on. You can get it at an auto care store. Check out my thread called Pasquini Livietta restoration for first timer. Look at the boiler on the third page. If you have scratches you will have to work them out with sand paper. For the boiler, I went from 220-1500 and then some super fine steel wool and finished with the polish. I used just the polish on the stainless steel and it also worked pretty well.