Plumbing a Vibiemme Domobar Super

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
m1ke_adams

#1: Post by m1ke_adams »

Hello,
I've got a lot of value from this website so I thought I would provide some information on the modifications that I recently made to plumb my 'non-plumbed' Vibiemme Domobar Super Electronic. After checking for a plumbing kit and being told I should sell this machine and buy a different one, I decided to make the modifications myself. Warning!- This mod will most likely void your warrantee - but I bought my machine second hand and dont have a warantee.

Procedure as follows:
1. When we remodelled our kitchen a few years ago, I was planning for a plumbed-in espresso machine and had a 50 mm hole drilled in the rear of kitchen benchtop and a tap and drain installed behind the cabinet drawers - so good planning there

2. Using a 32mm diameter stainless steel rated hole saw attachment on my drill (hole bit costs $35 - make sure you use one rated for SS) I cut a hole in the bottom of the rear chassis for the new water inlet pipe and the bottom of the front chassis for a drain tube - its only 1mm stainless plate but slow to cut and I had to cut from underneath the machine so that metal cuttings didnt fall into the espresso machine mechanicals and electrics.

3. I removed the original water container from the VBM and replaced it with a similar sized tupperware container (stolen from the pantry) - I hacked a hole in the lid of the tupperware to take a toilet cistern float valve (a new one :D - cost $32) - see attached picture - the new inlet pipe is the braided steel hose on the right of the photo and the blue and white thing is the float valve. The other two rubber tubes are the normal VBM pump inlet hose and pump return hose. I set the float valve level to operate between half and two thirds full which is enough to activate the VBM pressure sensor (the pump wont operate if there is insufficient weight on the sensor)

4. Fabricated a new drip tray from four layers of fibreglass glassed with polyester resin over a wooden male mold, added black colouring to the resin. The new drip tray slopes to a centre hole and has a pipe glassed in for the drain hose. - see picture. The front stainless panel of the old drip tray unscrews at the handle and is easily attached to the new fibreglass tray. You dont see the new tray at all as it sits under a grill and behind the front plate. When making the drain hole, I glassed in a 25mm length of 12mm aluminium tube so that a drain hose could be clamped onto it with a hose clamp.

Everything works great and if I ever want to operate the VBM unplumbed its a simple matter to swap in the original water contrainer and stainless steel drip tray.

Regards

Mike
VBM Domobar Super Electronique

sversimo

#2: Post by sversimo »

Good idea to use the toilet cistern float vavle! I have a Izzo Vivi PID, and being a HX machine it needs to be refilled very often! I will make something similar as you when I get a more permanent place to stay, will keep your idea in mind ;)

Where do the tube from the drip tray go?

m1ke_adams (original poster)

#3: Post by m1ke_adams (original poster) »

The drip tray tube travels under the machine and down a 50mm hole cut in the bench top behind the machine - the VBM has tall enough legs to get enough slope - that 50mm hole takes the drain hose, the water inlet hose and the espresso machine and grinder power cables. cheers Mike

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Just in case, and since the water level is never over 2/3's, I would add an "overflow hose" fitting just above the current high-tide water level in the reservoir, poked through the side of the new reservoir, and run that hose to the drip tray or the tray's waste hose. That way, if the float fails or the level inexplicably increases, the overflow water will merely go down the drain and not fill the kitchen.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#5: Post by m1ke_adams (original poster) »

Thanks Randy, yes it's a good idea. But I will know the valve has failed in my setup :)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

I did an article long long ago for HB on plumbing in a reservoir espresso machine. Hard to believe I did this back in 2005, how time flies.

Quit Filling That Water Tank!
Dave Stephens

#7: Post by m1ke_adams (original poster) »

Thanks Cannonfodder. I checked your 2005 post and I think it's worth mentioning to the forum that cistern float valves have improved a lot from the type you used a- you can now get a very compact all plastic unit that slides on column tube.

Also, I think I get more value from the plumbed drip tray than than the plumbed water supply. On the VBM you have a big mess if you don't empty the drip tray every time you use the machine. Now I never have to empty the drip tray.
Cheers Mike