Plumbing Problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
innermusic

#1: Post by innermusic »

Bought a new Vivaldi II but having trouble hooking up to plumbing. These are pics of the lower intake and upper (under the sink). Can't seem to find the proper t connector .
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

OttoMatic

#2: Post by OttoMatic »

If I had to guess, that looks like 1/2" copper sweated to a 3/8" thread. I'd say this is a bit uncommon, as I'd normally expect a shutoff directly off the copper (frequently applied with a compression fitting).

I recently plumbed in a machine, and under the sink I had essentially what I described: a compression fitting to a shutoff to a 3/8" thread. I replaced this with another compression fitting that had two 3/8" threaded outputs -- one straight on and one at 90 degrees.

You could accomplish the same thing by cutting off what you show in the picture, and then installing that compression fitting with the two outputs. It looks like you have sufficient room on your copper to chop it a bit, and that's what I'd probably do. It's a pretty common thing, and the parts should be available at HD, Lowes, etc.

I'm sure the are other options.... It's only plumbing.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

allon

#3: Post by allon »

Not uncommon. It's a sink supply line.

3/8" compression tee (at the sink end of the supply line) ?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/brasscraft ... TbHY6Vzr8s
LMWDP #331

stinkyonion

#4: Post by stinkyonion »

Not sure what Im looking at. Are those 1/2" copper pipes going to the sink? What are the white plastic tubes going to? Ordinarily the copper pipe would go up to a T with a shut off valve. The upward leg goes up 6 or 12" to a dead end to prevent water hammer. The T goes to the sink and the coffee maker both. You have to buy parts and sweat them in. At least that is what I would do, not a big fan of compression fittings. And dont buy a shutoff valve with a knob, get the one with the levers instead to avoid leaks down the road.

Easiest solution is to unscrew cold water supply tube to sink, attach threaded 3/8" shutoff valve instead, and 3/8 threaded T-fitting above that going to both sink and coffee machine. No cutting or sweating.

innermusic (original poster)

#5: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

The white tubes aren't relevant - they're part of an RO system for drinking water. And yes, the smaller copper pipes go up to the taps.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

stinkyonion

#6: Post by stinkyonion »

bah. picture is rotated but you get the idea. and it should be the cold water side not hot water as pictured. of course you could just T off of the white drinking water lines which is what I did (as long as they are 3/8, not 1/4), and the supply to the RO not after.

Just make sure there is a shutoff there somewhere.