Plumbing La Marzocco GS3 - Shurflo pump runs continuously

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Euology101

#1: Post by Euology101 »

Okay here is what I have, and the issue I'm having.

I have a GS/3 and i'm trying to feed it off a bottle. First I'll tell you the set up, then I'll tell you my issue.

Water Bottle >>
3/8" Hose >>
3/8" Barb fitting on pump>>
Shurflo Pump 2088-594-144 >>
Shurflo Accumulator 182-200 >>
3/8" Barb on accumulator>>
3/8" Hose >>
3/8" Barb >>
3/8" JG >>
3/8" JG Shut off >>
3/8" Generic Water Softener >>
3/8" Generic Carbon Filter >>
3/8" JG shut off >>
3/8" JG to 3/8" for Hose to GS3.

I've tested the system before connecting it to the machine, an it worked well. I put about 2 gallons of water to flush out the filters, and then I hooked it into the GS3. Once installed, I plugged in the pump and it kicked on, and stayed on (GS3 was already full of water) I figured it would need to push some water through the system so i let it go for a few, and it stayed on. It doesn't appear there is enough pressure for the auto-shutoff to kick in on the Shurflo pump. I tried to adjust the adjustment screw to no avail.

Any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? I plan on getting a pressure regulator, just haven't picked one up yet. Even when I close one of the Shutoff valves the pump continues to run, am I missing something?

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The correct order is bottle -> pump -> filter -> accumulator -> espresso machine. Filters offer a lot of resistance, so there should be nothing restricting flow between it and the pump. Keep in mind that the Flojet will have to fill a lot of empty space before water flows from the grouphead (two filter cartridges, one accumulator, and all the tubing). My guess is that two gallons would barely do it.
Dan Kehn

Euology101 (original poster)

#3: Post by Euology101 (original poster) replying to HB »

Dan,

I guess that would make sense, but everything I'm finding is telling me that the accumulator should be directly hooked up to the pump. When speaking with Rodger from LM, he suggested this: http://www.espressoparts.com/2002M and I was going to pick it up, but for that price it was a bit much, so I essentially bought the parts separate, for a fraction of the cost.

Maybe I'll try and bypass the filters, and see if this does anything. Also, if the filters were restricting the flow, this would enable the auto-shutoff on the pump quicker, because it would assume it was at proper pressure, no?

The 2 gallon thing was prior to the machine being hooked up to the system, I ran the water through the pump, accumulator, and both filters, into a waste bucket, after a couple gallons, I then plugged it into my machine, which already had a full boiler/group, so other than bleeding the system, it should be a fullly saturated system, right?

Thanks for your help!

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I don't have the benefit of seeing what you're describing. If when you push the paddle to the left, the pump starts and water flows from the grouphead, then clearly the pump is working. Once you return the paddle to the right and the flow stops, the pump should run for 10-15 seconds to fill the accumulator and then stop.
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by Euology101 (original poster) »

Pump runs continuously, with the paddle on and the paddle off, no matter the position. I'll see if I can take a photo of the set up and post it.

allon

#6: Post by allon »

Why filter the bottled water?
Why not bottle filtered water and run that directly to the machine?
LMWDP #331

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Do you have a pressure gauge for the grouphead? That would confirm it's reaching operating pressure (according to my searches, PRESSURE SWITCH: Factory Set @ 45 PSI Shut-Off, Turn On 25 PSI). Or... shudder... you could read the owner's manual. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Marshall

#8: Post by Marshall »

Unless you're a caterer, I thought the main advantage of using bottled water was the ability to buy water that didn't need any further treatment.
Marshall
Los Angeles

#9: Post by Euology101 (original poster) replying to Marshall »

Marshall,

I'm just using the water bottle because I have no counter space, therefore the machine is in my living room and I don't know to many people with plumbing in their living room, or an espresso machine for that matter. :D
The bottles are refilled with tap water, to save money, though at this point, for what it's worth, I may just go and buy a new bottle or two once a week.

Dan,
I'll try and bypass the filters tomorrow and see if that has anything to do with it.

I know I should have a pressure regulator installed, that would at least tell me if I'm getting the correct PSI to shut the pump down, then I can troubleshoot from there. I was just hoping someone on here has dealt with this set up before. This setup was recommended by Roger from LM, figured it was a good route for the MP GS3.

#10: Post by Euology101 (original poster) »

Okay so I tried to go direct to the machine bypassing the filters. Still running continuiously, tried the adjustment screw, to see if I could get it to shut off, but no luck. I'll check the PSI on the Accumulator tonight, but I have another question.

Forgive my ignorance: If I have a shutoff valve directly after the accumulator, and I close it, it should build up the pressure enough to shut off the pump correct? Do I need a check valve before the pump to stop the water from returning to the bottle? I know when I had the Linea, the external pump has a check valve, but I'm not sure if that is necessary as it's not a rotary pump, but a diaphragm pump. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. :oops: