Plumbing in Faema Compact?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
frankmoss

#1: Post by frankmoss »

I've recently purchased a Faema Compact for my first restoration project. I'd like to at least fill the boiler before I take it apart, but I'm not sure how to hook up a water source. Plumbing it in is not an option right now, so I need to run off of a 5 gallon carboy. From what I've read, this machine can draw water out of the carboy without a Flojet or anything like it. Is this correct? I don't want to mess up the machine.

Thanks!

Paul

#2: Post by Paul »

I am 95% sure these use a vibe pump rather than rotary (someone will be along in just a minute to confirm :D ). In which case, no, it will not draw from a carboy. You will need a projet/shurflow/flojet etc.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

frankmoss (original poster)

#3: Post by frankmoss (original poster) »

This thread (https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... 122&Page=1) gave me the impression that a vibe pump could pull water, but I'm not sure. Also, the users manual shows a picture of the machine hooked up to an upside down bottle. But the English translation is not the best, so i could be misunderstanding it.

Paul

#4: Post by Paul »

if a reservoir was level with the pump - sure, why not. This is how tanked machines work. Most folks however place tanks under the bench. I doubt a vibe pump has the lift necessary.

I made a setup using a pump designed to provide water for a caravan tap. Such things are not expensive. Maybe worth looking at?
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

kitt

#5: Post by kitt »

Hi Frank, i ran one of those (vibe pump compact) off an external tank with 1m of silicone tubing and the tank level with the machine, as Paul noted you wouldn't want the tank too low, i think from memory about half a metre is the max height a vibe pump will draw from. And make sure the pump is primed properly and is drawing water before you run the pump for too long, you don't want to burn it out.The button on the lower left of the machine is a manual fill for the boiler when running off lines pressure, but won't work off tank pressure.

jarviscochrane

#6: Post by jarviscochrane »

It is possible if the carboy is raised above the machine... I was able to test the Ulka pump on my Compact using this method.

It is even shown in the user guide (this diagram shows the 2gr model)

One thing to keep in mind is that the onboard water softener is inline between the main water supply and the pump intake... this softener may be in rough shape so consider bypassing it for the test and connecting the pump directly to the carboy.

jarviscochrane

#7: Post by jarviscochrane »

I just had another thought... you could actually use the softener as a temporary pourover reservoir by removing the resin cartridge and closing the bottom fitting. You may want to unscrew the mounts and raise it up a bit to get the pressure up.

frankmoss (original poster)

#8: Post by frankmoss (original poster) »

Thanks jarviscochrane! That's a great idea for testing it, then I can find another solution later.

Also, I'll start a restoration log once I get the machine

djmonkeyhater

#9: Post by djmonkeyhater »

I have pulled the softeners out of the two Compacts that I have since they take up a ton of space, are ugly and really heavy. Mine were kinda beat looking inside and I figured I would use external ones if I needed them as they seemed easier to work on/clean/maintain once the machines were in service. There will be a hole in the warming tray that I covered with a chunk of perforated stainless.

WES