Planning Rancilio Silvia Maintenance

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
oldink75

#1: Post by oldink75 »

I have just completed my first gasket and screen replacement on my Rancilio Silvia--the first time in three years with this machine. I make one double-shot per day (age, very sad) and two double-shots on the weekend, sharing with my long-suffering mate. Question: Is it a good idea to just establish a replacement schedule for gasket and screen or is it only a matter of observation? Water dripping from the portafilter and a crudded screen. Thanks very much.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Unless it's dripping or you have to use excessive force to seal the portafilter, I wouldn't bother replacing the grouphead gasket. The dispersion screen should never wear out in a home environment. Soaking the dispersion screen / water jet breaker in a solution of Cafiza or equivalent should restore it to like-new condition.
Dan Kehn

iginfect

#3: Post by iginfect »

I'd replace the gasket every 6-12 months, and advise backflushes with water after every shot, The screen is held in place by a metric screw. When I had my Silvia, I replaced the screw with an 8mm short bolt from my bicycle equipment and used my Campy T-tool to remove the bolt and clean the screen. A pipe wrench would work as I'd assume there are no more cheaply available Campy T-tools and I'd do this monthly, cleaning the screen etc. and Urnex or JoeGlo. Also monthly backflushes with same. I'd also look into a PID http://www.espressomyespresso.com/Coffee63.html. I have multiple old files on pid I could pm as they are no longer available on line.

Marvin

oldink75 (original poster)

#4: Post by oldink75 (original poster) »

Thanks very much. So the portafilter should always be sealed to a position just before 6. Mine was certainly not reaching that point. I particularly appreciate your comment about the screen. I just spent thirty bucks for a "tune-up" kit, gasket and screen. Thanks again.