The photo was a clue

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
phillip canuck

#1: Post by phillip canuck »

I don't relish being cryptic, but let's have a bit of fun. I came across a listing on craigslist last week that had a lot of stuff for sale, and four small photos, including the one below. The listing was:

esspreso machine, warannty: $XXX (time being I'll keep the price to myself)

The listing was up for more than two days before I noticed it (I tend to check CL too many times a day, but still I missed it several times). After I figured out what I was dealing with, pinched myself, I ran down to the seller and picked up my latest project.

-phillip

gyro

#2: Post by gyro »

An old Elektra for 200.

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Is that a T1?
Chris

jason_casale

#4: Post by jason_casale »

I am Guessing that 209 was $209 am I right if you got it for that price that is awesome

lolgun

#5: Post by lolgun »

I swear you guys in the US always find such great deals. We have nothing like craigslist here and if we did I'm sure people would be asking an arm and leg for everything anyway. . . :?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

That is an older model T1. No brew lever to the right of the group. The label on the front of the machine makes it one of the early 60's series machines. Portafilter is slightly to the left which is good, gasket is in place and the group bayonet lugs are not worn out. That is also not a stock portafilter. Hopefully the right side steam ball valve is down because the lever was pushed down and not drooping because the innards are wasted. Those valves are shockingly expensive. It is a tank of a machine, hard to wear them out. It also takes a 20 amp 110V line to run so you need a dedicated circuit just for the machine. Best case, another $50 in gaskets and small parts (vacuum breaker, both group gaskets), descale and polish it back up and you are in business.
Dave Stephens

stefano65
Sponsor

#7: Post by stefano65 »

actually the valves are the "newer" version and not the old ones out of productions
so parts are available
just be careful of what you get into it $$$$$$$
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

phillip canuck (original poster)

#8: Post by phillip canuck (original poster) »

It's an Elektra T1, not sure of the year - 2000 perhaps?? I say this because the only inscribed digit in the date "column" is a zero. I've had her for a week but I have yet to have the time to do anything at all. My original intention was to flip her without even cleaning the machine. Then I considered doing a full restoration and selling for a bit more money. Now, lever machine purist that I've been growing to be, I'm finding myself attracted to this darling. The tag number is not the price, that would have been nice. Still, there are Pavonis out there selling for more, so I'm not about to complain. Given that I may very well sell her at some point, I'll be keeping mum on the price. Unfortunately, I only have the single portafilter, and that is not original Elektra, I believe.

One of the reasons that I bought this machine was the detailed thread on another Elektra T1 (don't have that URL at hand) - all 10 pages or so, and another SF Bay resident. Were it not for that gem, I probably would just sell this without even thinking about it. Here are some photos, comments welcome.

Nice residue...

The goods..

zin1953

#9: Post by zin1953 »

Well, as a fellow (albeit working) T1 owner, welcome to the "club"! As you know, there are a fair number of us who have a T1 (or its semi-auto sister, the A3). Here's mine . . .

In the FWIW Dept., I now have four portafilters (it came with two). I'm purchased the extras from Stefano's Espresso Care. You can see what's available by clicking here. Stefano has been of great help, both here on HB and via phone and/or email; ordering parts has been a piece of cake, and delivery has been fast and no hassle.

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer.)

I look forward to more photos as the restoration progresses . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

That is going to need some serious cleaning. The group is a disaster, looks like coffee spray on the inside/outer rim of the gauge, coffee residue on the steam wand. Looks like the previous owner ran it hard and never cleaned it. You can remove the cap from the group and get a good idea of what the inside of the boiler looks like. I would bet it is crusted up pretty good. Looks like they used a Brillo pad to clean the machine. It will clean up, but it is going to take some work. Is that valve pressed down or is the valve shot and the handle sagging? Good side, they are heard to break. A couple weeks of cleaning and polishing you could have it in tip top shape again.
Dave Stephens