Pasquini Livia 90 Blowing Off Steam

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
knab

#1: Post by knab »

I have a Pasquini Livia 90 that has been "Livia-ing" in our attic for 2 years because it started blowing steam through its sides about that time. Here's a video of what it does if anyone cares to see what its doing.
Can anyone tell if this is a problem that is easily fixable? Can I do it myself? There's one post about a Pressurestat CEME. If that's it and I can replace it myself I'd happily spend the money and try to fix it myself. My wife has listed it on ebay, and there's already a bazillion responses, so I imagine that its still got some worth. But I'd rather fix, keep, and use it again!

PS by moderator: Edited per Public complaints about customer service in the Guidelines for productive online discussion. Please contact me if you have questions/concerns regarding this action.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

The first thing to do is to figure out where the steam is coming from. CAUTION: Steam = Hot and makes for VERY nasty burns.. VERY nasty. Think lobster newberg without the newberg.

Remove as much of the outer case as possible. Put on safety glasses (a full-face shield is preferred!). Start the machine up. Look for steam. ..... . . . .

IMPORTANT ADDENDUM: Old habits are hard to break. Just three days ago I finally got high-speed Internet access installed here at home (yes - been on dial-up for about 15 years). I forget that videos are so very easy to watch now (INSTANTANEOUS as opposed to impossible before)...

Anyway, I watched the video and definitely suspect this: The pressure relief safety valve is opening from excessive boiler pressure caused by a too-high setting on the pressurestat, and the high reading on the gauge would verify that. Turn the pressurestat down now!

EASY DIAGNOSIS - turn down pressurestat's setting, let the machine idle for a while, and measure the brew temperature as closely as possible. This will indicate whether the gauge is even close to accurate. This is not an accurate test, but just to get an easy data point. If the steam stops and the brew temperature now seems correct, you are done.

Others (more experienced) will comment on the above, I am sure... But the binary nature of the steam (suddenly on at great force, then suddenly off) would indicate that it is from the pressure relief valve.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

knab (original poster)

#3: Post by knab (original poster) »

Randy G. Thanks for the reply. I am definitely up for some attempts at fixing. I don't know how to dismantle the machine. Any tips on where to look for tabs/screws? Also, how to adjust the pressurestat? Any advice appreciated. And thanks for the person who embedded the video for me. I will do it myself nxt. time!

stefano65
Sponsor

#4: Post by stefano65 »

see my reply to your email,
regarding the opening
there are couple of versions of your machine
does your has the reservoir with the hoses or the filter/opening at the bottom?
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

knab wrote:Randy G. Thanks for the reply. I am definitely up for some attempts at fixing. I don't know how to dismantle the machine. Any tips on where to look for tabs/screws? Also, how to adjust the pressurestat?
Whatever Stefano told you in the E-mail he sent you, that is what to do. He knows.

stefano65
Sponsor

#6: Post by stefano65 »

thanks Randy, :D
I didn't mean to be secretive,
was just an email that I replied this morning before I logged here and see the post
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

One more thing worth thinking about. That blast of steam (over and over) puts a lot of moisture into the machine, and then allowing the machine to sit very well could have an affect on all the electrical connections. Nothing to worry about in the short term, but over the long haul this could cause corrosion and high resistance in the connections. If/when you open the machine take a good look at the various connections (such as the ones on the heating element, and if visible the pressurestat, the main power switch and the brew switch). If there are signs of corrosion you might be well served to clean them up. This would involve UNPLUGGING THE MACHINE, and one by one removing each connection, giving a scrub with a Scotchbrite pad or equivalent the best you can, applying a thin coat of silicone dielectric grease, and reconnecting. For each push-on connection also be sure they fit snugly when reconnecting. Even for the ones that can't be scrubbed, just the removal, greasing, and re-installation will do a lot of good.

knab (original poster)

#8: Post by knab (original poster) »

Randy and Stefano-- thank you for your input. Stefano I looked on your site (great site!) but didn't see any Pasquini information. I did see a nice picture posted by another member of the pressurestat in my machine so I think I know where it is located and what it looks like. How do I go about taking the cover off the machine to get started? Thanks

stefano65
Sponsor

#9: Post by stefano65 »

stefano65 wrote: regarding the opening
there are couple of versions of your machine
does your has the reservoir with the hoses or the filter/opening at the bottom?
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care

knab (original poster)

#10: Post by knab (original poster) »

There is a red filter at the bottom of the white plastic water reservoir.