Parts availability for a project espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JohnF

#1: Post by JohnF »

Are there any brands of machine that have really good parts availability for building a project machine?

I have a Carezza right now that I am set to rip apart and scavenge but in the back of my mind I'd really like to have something other than an aluminum boiler when the project is done. I've tried a few searches and aside from Silvia rebuild kits I am not turning up much on boiler availability. I must be looking in the wrong places. :?

If there is a brand out there with good parts availability I might grab a broken down "parts machine" and build off that as a base or even consider the wildness that is a scratch machine...

What at the best sources for parts to include the big stuff like boilers and groups?

djmonkeyhater

#2: Post by djmonkeyhater »

Go with craigslist or visit the repair guy in your town with some cash. I have no idea what you are trying to do but the guys here just sold me a ratty La San Marco 110v single for $150 that they wanted rid of. I've got all kinds of parts to mess with.

Other than that, boilers and groups are generally unavailable to mortals and hellaciously expensive. If you do find a new one, I'll bet you can get a clean used entire machine and you'll have all of the other machine specific parts for the same money.

I have found that Astoria/Rio/Laurentis machines to have good aftermarket availability but that's by no means a real market survey. When you find one that you like, take a good long look at the online parts places to make sure you can get what you need.

PS - What are you trying to do?

JohnF (original poster)

#3: Post by JohnF (original poster) »

djmonkeyhater wrote:PS - What are you trying to do?
Man,....I don't know for sure yet. :?

Initially I just planned on adding an OPV to my Carezza but then I realized how easy (and useful) it will be to add a pressure gauge to go with it.

I then started thinking about building a new "skin" while I was poking around in there and made a mock up form cardboard to test my design idea...so I am working on that as well.

PID should probably go in but now that I will be doing all of that I'd like to get away from the Aluminum boiler somehow.

I should have just sold myself on the idea of a new machine but it's too late now and I'm caught up in the idea of creating something custom and if there is any way I can source the parts I might be able to make something pretty cool. I'm not too far in yet to leave the Gaggia platform and go with something else to do exactly what you mention..getting a scrapped machine and going from there.

It's crazy...I know...but I'm building something, just not sure exactly what yet.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

By the time you finish all of that you could have just purchased a new or used machine that does not need all the work and had better espresso.
Dave Stephens

JohnF (original poster)

#5: Post by JohnF (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

I know that.....yet I am compelled to do it anyhow. :|

mfasano

#6: Post by mfasano »

Boilers and Group heads are impossible to find. I was hoping to find plans for a home made boiler. I figure I can have any brazing done professionally. Does anybody have this.

Thanks.

Psyd

#7: Post by Psyd »

I think I saw a steam and a brew boiler for sale on CG, didn't I? Anyone?
I know I saw some somewhere...

Yup!

I have absolutely no connection to either the seller or the site, other than I visit the site occasionally. OK, obsessively...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175