Owner experience with Bezzera Strega - Page 72

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
another_jim
Team HB

#711: Post by another_jim »

Citric is good as an easily rinsed, odor free, run-through descaler for the group and heat exchanger. If you let it sit hot for a half day in the boiler every six months, it will keep that free of scale too. This is a sort of preventive maintenance that requires no disassembly (except siphoning the solution in and out through the vacuum breaker). I would not use it for descaling medium of heavily scaled machines, where disassembly and vinegar or weak hydrochloric acid (aka muriatic acid) are clearly better.
Jim Schulman

Bob_McBob

#712: Post by Bob_McBob »

I took advantage of iDrinkCoffee's recent no-tax sale and ordered their $110 bottomless portafilter. I am still not an enormous fan of the way it's cut (I will post a photo later), though I am sure their machinist slices off the bottom to make the rim thicker and stronger, which is reasonable enough. The edges of the cuts have been roughly deburred, but I think they should be finished better for the price.

However, as usual with Bezzera products, I am going to have to disassemble it and file down the ears significantly (hopefully not scratching the sides). Why is portafilter fit such a big problem for them? I have received two lever machines that were unusable without filing the portafilters, and I've read numerous similar reports. It does not reflect well on their QC processes.
Chris

Advertisement
espressotime

#713: Post by espressotime »

My portafilter now even turns to the right when it's locked in.Didn't have any problems with it.

JohnB. (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#714: Post by JohnB. (original poster) replying to espressotime »

As I recall this was after you seriously deformed the P/F gasket. I filed the ears on my P/F when I received the Strega & it still locks in at the same spot a year later. I thought I had read that the newer machines were coming through with a better P/F fit??
LMWDP 267

WSH

#715: Post by WSH »

Bob_McBob wrote: However, as usual with Bezzera products, I am going to have to disassemble it and file down the ears significantly (hopefully not scratching the sides). Why is portafilter fit such a big problem for them? I have received two lever machines that were unusable without filing the portafilters, and I've read numerous similar reports. It does not reflect well on their QC processes.
FWIW, I just received my Strega today and the portafilter(both) fit perfectly. And both stop exactly perpendicular to the machine, every time! I know this has been an ongoing problem but it looks like they have finally addressed it with the newer models.

Having said that, I'm not really a fan of the new handles shape. They have kind of a semi-pistol grip end and while they work reasonably well on the PF but, it's completely the wrong shape for the lever handle. IMO. You really have to watch it when flushing without any resistance from a full PF. The rounded end of the new style is harder to hang on too. And it'll be one of the first things I change. Just a regular straight handle and probably add a couple of inches for some more mechanical advantage would be nice too.

I see IDC offers a bottomless PF, is there one being sold here in the states? I may resort to modifying it myself but would just rather purchase an extra one if possible.

bmb

#716: Post by bmb »

My Strega Top, bought in July 2012, with "Ordine" (fabricated ?) from 18/07/2011, had both PFs perfectly aligned, and to the present they continue that way.
No finishing details to complain about.

bcrdukes

#717: Post by bcrdukes »

Is there a possibility that the Rancilio 58mm naked portafilter from say EspressoParts or Chris' Coffee will fit on the Strega?
LMWDP #685

Advertisement
Bob_McBob

#718: Post by Bob_McBob replying to bcrdukes »

Nope, completely different portafilter.
Chris

another_jim
Team HB

#719: Post by another_jim »

No. The Rancilio PF has its ears at 9 and 3 o'clock; whereas the Astoria and Bezzera PFs have them at 11 and 5 o'clock. But that isn;t all; not even the orginal Astoria lever PF fits the Strega, since it has a built up lip above the rabbit ears. This limits PF sneeze if you ever have to remove the PF under pressure.

There are some antique Gaggia lever PFs that have a similar raised lip and that might fit; but otherwise, the Strega has a PF that seems unique.
Jim Schulman

bcrdukes

#720: Post by bcrdukes »

Thanks for the detailed information, gentlemen.

I asked because I'm looking to move away from my Silvia but would like to keep the OEM naked portafilter. (But this is a different discussion altogether.) Sorry for veering off-topic!
LMWDP #685