Our '88 Rancilio Z11 3G died this weekend!!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#1: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

So..my partner and I kept the shop closed for the 4th and we went in to do some routine maintenance. He went ahead and turned off the machine so that he could recharge the water softener. Of course he made a drink first before switching it off. Job finished, turned machine on, element fired right up and back to full pressure in 5 minutes, but no action from the brew buttons...#$&*!!

Long story short, after calling our favorite parts & service guy, we deduce that the elctronics took a dive, one that could cost upwards of $1500 to fix. Keeping in mind that our trusty machine IS 22 years old and some heavy maintenance isn't too far down the road anyhow, we decided that it just may be time to take the plunge and lay out for a new monster. And that's what we did. Our parts guy apparently has an IN with the factory for the machines he sells, and he'll have our new machine direct from Italy by the end of next week. This one will be fresh off the line, not a new-old-stock that's been warehoused.

We are very sad to see our machine sitting lifeless in the shop now because we really appreciate the solid construction and amazing shot quality, and have come to love its reassuring performance. On the other hand we are also very excited about the new machine as it will bring a new energy to the shop. I won't tell y'all what it is yet that we are getting either. Although I will say it is a design departure from the Z11, and I'm sure it will appeal to alot of people.

Anyhow, knowing that the element on the Z11 is still strong, I've been thinking since it died that there ought to be an economic way for me to convert the machine from an automatic to a semi-automatic and make it the perfect back-up machine. I've got a few electrical pros on the case already, though they are not familiar with espresso machines. With the schematics in hand they should be able to devise a plan, or at least I hope they can. Then I can move ahead with the fabulous restoration I've had planned for the Z for the last few years.

I know how we all like pictures, so when I start the teardown and cleanup I'll do a full documentation for y'all and hopefully glean some information along the way. So if you have an ideas on how to convert it, I am ALL EYES AND EARS!

Regards
Tom
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

I assume that some electrical pro has looked at the control board and has seen a visual clue as to "cause of death" and, in fact, the recovery is not reasonable. That control board certainly appears to be fused as per the schematics here: http://www.rancilio.com/rancilio/downlo ... language=3

Maybe try a post here: http://www.baristaexchange.com/ asking about availability of a control board or leads for an espresso machine "junkyard".
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

Maybe you could do a brainectomy.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster)

#4: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

Brainectomy-hehehe. That's just what I'm thinking. One way or another I think it can be done.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

CRCasey

#5: Post by CRCasey »

I love looking over old controller boards. Dead or alive. So if you are looking to get it back let me know.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

#6: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

I got my brother the electronics whiz on the case.Though he's across the country from me he's given me an outline of where to start looking first. It's just a matter of dragging the monster home and making space in the garage. It's about 110 outside right now though 8). Thanks for the offer, though. We'll see what happens.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

donberquist

#7: Post by donberquist »

I just tried calling your shop to discuss your plan and they mentioned you purchased a new machine. If you still wanted to convert your machine to a semi as a side project, I would be glad to give you some advice on the work.

Best regards,
Don
dberquist@rancilo-na.com

karl_a_hall

#8: Post by karl_a_hall »

Tom@Steve'sEspresso wrote:I won't tell y'all what it is yet that we are getting either. Although I will say it is a design departure from the Z11, and I'm sure it will appeal to alot of people.
Um, are we supposed to be giving you a drum roll? Is the espresso scene in Tempe really that competitive? Btw, do you have a huge rush of people when IM comes to town each year? If you don't you should connect with people on slowtwitch.com and offer discount and coffee cart services during IM if you don't already. HUGE opportunity.

Regarding your question, it is very possible to turn your machine into a semiauto... you will have to make a new wiring harness and figure out a good way to control your autofill (depending on how the Rancilio Z11 measures it). A friend and I completed this sort of a project a few weeks ago, but make sure you have a good plan that has looked over by a good electrical guy before you get into it.

karl_a_hall

#9: Post by karl_a_hall »

So what machine did you end up getting? Any update?

#10: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

A drumroll?...lmao. There's no espresso "scene" in Tempe, and if there is then we're certainly not aware of it. And I suppose I could have worded my previous post to say something more along the lines of the new machine appealing to alot of our customers, more specificly.
As for updates, no nothing to mention honestly. One of the only things Italians seem to do quickly is drive. But I'll give it up and say that the new machine is a Nuova Era semi-auto. We like the guys at the place that sold us the machine and we feel as though we got a decent price for it, and it has more design character than just a big box with some bottons and knobs. I'll have some pics up as soon as it arrives, for sure.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun