Oscar expansion valve problem [SOLVED]

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

Okay, So I noticed that my machine never could keep a constant pressure at the group head. I decided to pop off the expansion valve on the left side of the grouphead - opposite of the solenoid. It was CLOGGED with green scale, I got all of the scale out, but I am having the hardest time re-screwing it into position, I've spent 3 hours today trying to get the thing to line up.. it doesn't even want to meet with the threads. Maybe it needs a lubricant, It's possible I could've lost a piece too. Any help much appreciated! I'll be able to provide pictures later!

The valve I am referring to is also seen in this post: Nuova Simonelli Oscar - how to lower the brew pressure?

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#2: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

After some more investigation - There is absolutely no way that part is going to be able to fit back into the threads, when I knocked some of the scale out it must've gotten bent out of shape. Fortunately, a new part is only 20 dollars.

plindy

#3: Post by plindy »

threads are 1/8 BSPP
threat sealant is needed
next to no room to work with the 16mm wrench
group head casting mold line prevents flush fit with neplex
careful not to strip the threads in the group head

G'luck

#4: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to plindy »

Thanks, Plindy! I hear you on the room, It took me a while to get the thing out, I finally ended up just removing the whole front casing. I am still trying to wrap my head around how the expansion valve thread is bigger than the hole it came out of. Hopefully I just did something stupid and the new part isn't the same way.

#5: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

SUCCESS, part came in today - replaced it with ease. I just made a great latte, looked like it channeled from the bottomless, but it is far from sink material. I suppose the scale blockage in the release valve made the machine somehow less forgiving.

Just for fun: Counter Culture Baroida Roasted 2/17 (Somewhat on the older side, but it's still great!) 19gram dose in triple basket, 32 gram output. 9 oz of milk.