OPV adjustment generic ? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Beenbag

#11: Post by Beenbag »

... just found out today my Magica is on a slow boat from Italy so the Vendor is shipping me a Rocket Cellini Premium Plus V2. UPS says the machine will be at my house on 1/14
Thats odd ? ..so when will you get the Magica ?
I ordered a Bezzera direct from Italy and it was delivered to my door (in Australia) 6 days later !

Burner0000

#12: Post by Burner0000 »

My Silvia has an adjustable OPV (Post 2009 model). Before I can start messing with it I need ti insatll a pressure gauge. for now I am gonna try opening the steam valve a bit to slow the shot and see how things go. I am currently using finer grind and harder tamp for ristretto's. I'm not sure if this is even possible with an HX machine.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

radudanutco

#13: Post by radudanutco »

Link wrote:...if your grind is right you will see the pressure ramp up to ~9 bar and never get to 12 bar
please consider:
using "KIT VALVOLA 9 Bar" I have adjusted the OPV for my MAGICA, with blind filter, for 9.7 bar at the pump pressure gauge;
which results in about 9 bar (maximum pressure) at the puck surface, as there is a pressure drop all the (hydraulic) way from vibration pump output (where the gauge is connected) to the shower screen;
after the preinfusion (E61 and vibration pump startup), when the optimum pressure of around 9 bar is reached on the puck surface, the surpression valve will open; being it a normale or a ristretto shot;
while keeping unchanged the dose/distribution/tamp, shot duration, is there another (variable) parameter beside the grind, the brew pressure (or flow)?
perhaps, for a normale shot, it's better to leave the OPV adjusted at the original 12 bar and try the best, by controlling the flow too (via the grind, for ex.), to keep the pressure at 9 bar?!

anyway, as it is now, all my drinkable shots run with pump gauge at the maximum pressure setting (9.7 bar), probabily - I haven't checked it yet - with OPV open; if the pressure is lower, to 4-8 bar it is obviously about an excessive flow (channeling ususally, or I've forgot to tamp :?

is there anything wrong with these?

Beenbag

#14: Post by Beenbag »

What is in the "KIT VALVOLA 9 Bar" ??
I have been able to adjust the standard OPV on my BZ10 down to 9 bar ( and lower if needed) from the factory set 12 bar.
The adjustment is about half a turn of the valve, so i doubt it takes it close to the end of its working range.
currently, i have it set to 10 bar using a blind filter in the PF. ( reading from the inbuilt gauge)

Link (original poster)

#15: Post by Link (original poster) »

Beenbag wrote:Thats odd ? ..so when will you get the Magica ?
I ordered a Bezzera direct from Italy and it was delivered to my door (in Australia) 6 days later !

Hmmm, I did not order it direct, & will not be getting a Magica. Yesterday I phoned vendor up to check on order & the guy told me they sold there last Magica & were expecting a shipment from Italy but it could be 3-4 weeks before I get it. They had the Rocket Cellini Premium Plus V2 in stock & He offered to send me that machine at no extra cost, (the Rocket is aprx. $250.00us more then the Magica at His store) so I took him up on the offer. The vendor was very nice & just wanted to make me happy. I was kinda looking forward to having that snake on my counter & the joy stick controls seem nice, but I'm sure the Rocket is on par with the Magica.

radudanutco

#16: Post by radudanutco »

Beenbag wrote:What is in the "KIT VALVOLA 9 Bar" ??
as it is named in the accessories parts catalog on Bezzera site - OverPressure Valve 9 bar kit;
The OPV is the same part code in BZ10 and MAGICA;
however I could not set on Magica, the OPV pressure lower than 10 bar: the assembly started to make a high pitch weird sound (resonance); besides, going further it started to leak water;
so, I ordered that OPV kit (for 30EUR);
this one allows me to adjust pump pressure limit anywhere around 9 bar and seems to be the only way to get there with Magica; or, at least, one should change the calibrated spring inside Magica 12 bar OPV;

Beenbag

#17: Post by Beenbag »

Hmm ?, so is the "kit" a complete new valve ass'y or just a different spring ?
From those diagrams, it looks like it maybe a complete replacement valve ..preset to 9 bar ??
A different spring i might just understand, but It seems strange that it is necessary to replace components in an "Adjustable" valve assy to make a 3 bar change. :?

radudanutco

#18: Post by radudanutco »

so you have seen on those parts breakdown drawings, the 9 bar kit is a complete replacement of the original 12 bar OPV; and it is smaller, so it is the calibrated spring inside;
actually, in Magica case, there is no manufacturer reference about an adjustable OPV;
in the Magica parts manual, it is named: ASSEMBLY SURPRESSION VALVE 12BAR (code 5965165);

however, I am still loooking for an answer: all my drinkable shots - normale, ristretto - run with pump gauge at the maximum pressure setting (9.7 bar), with OPV open; if the pressure is lower, to 4-8 bar it is about an excessive flow (channeling ususally, or I've forgot to tamp :)
is this ok?