Options for Filling Water Tank

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Coffee Newbie

#1: Post by Coffee Newbie »

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading my espresso machine, but all the machines I've looking at (budget:$1500) will have limited clearance at the top as I am limited by cabinets to a machine height of 16.5". Since the water tank in all the machines in my price range are filled from the top, how does one manage this with limited clearance?

I don't want to plumb and a water bottle with flojet won't work for me space-wise. I did see that one of Bezzera machines comes with a water filling spout that would solve the problem, but I haven't been able to find the spout (or something similar) for sale separately.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Coffee Newbie

fredfal

#2: Post by fredfal »

What about a tube and funnel combo that you keep under the counter and just pull out when it's time to refill?
-Fred

Advertisement
hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

You can a lab container valve from me. I use them on Walmart 1L water bottles.

Al deHyde

#4: Post by Al deHyde »

The tubing and funnel suggestion is good. Food grade tubing is readily available in silicone (which is very flexible) or polyethylene (stiffer) at places like Home Depot. Depending on your machine and cabinet config, flexibility may be a consideration.

The only other thing to think about with this method is having a means to know when the tank you are filling with water is full, so you know when to stop pouring water in (or better, a way of always knowing what the water level is).

Abnuceals

#5: Post by Abnuceals »

Hi Coffee Newbie,

Did you think about a used La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi ? It will fit under your cabinet, and the water tank is a drawer in front of the machine. No need to move the machine. It's a matter of seconds to fill the machine with water. I honestly think you can have a used one under $1500. And you will have something realy serious (double boiler) to play with for years.
LMWDP 389

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

The neat thing about the lab spout is the flow stops when the water reaches the tip. You can fit some plastic tubing on the spout and adjust the final level. We normally toss these in the trash, but I've saved a few.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Coffee Newbie wrote:Since the water tank in all the machines in my price range are filled from the top, how does one manage this with limited clearance?
You could convert it to plumbed in: Quit Filling That Water Tank!

When I'm testing an espresso machine and pulling shot-after-shot, I sometimes use a pitcher placed next to the machine instead of the water tank. Doing so bypasses the safety switch that shuts off the machine if it runs out of water, but it's convenient if you don't mind the extra steps of double-checking the water is topped off at the beginning of a session and shutting down at the end.

This question has come up before; IIRC, some members put two of those "EZ Moves" furniture disks under the back legs then simply slide the machine out when it's refill time.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner »

How about using something like this siphon pump?

http://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-siph ... 93290.html
Scott
LMWDP #248

Coffee Newbie (original poster)

#9: Post by Coffee Newbie (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. A funnel and tube seems to be the simplest approach and allow me to get away with minimal clearance (seems that most machines I'm looking at are right around 14-16" tall. Another play on the funnel&tube approach could be a bottle with a long tube attached, which might make coordinating the fill easier.

Abnuceais, yes i thought about the vivaldi, but a new machine is over my budget. A used one, as you suggest, could be a good option. Will check it out.

Coffee Newbie

Coffee Newbie (original poster)

#10: Post by Coffee Newbie (original poster) »

Sweaner. Another good idea with the siphon pump. Can even get batttery operated one at home depot.