Omega HH806 vs HH506?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
da gino

#1: Post by da gino »

I was thinking of picking up a datalogger/thermometer and I have read the Fluke vs Omega thread from about a year ago and in it someone (Erics?) mentions the Omega HH806, but no one had tried it in that thread. Has anyone tried it yet? Does the wireless work well if you are using that version? Is there any advantage to the HH506 series over the 806 other than being cheaper?

Obviously the Fluke sounds like the ideal machine, but it is out of my price range given that I am a home user and don't need it for work, so it seems like one of the omegas should be the winner.

thanks,

Hugh

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Hugh -

I have both and offer this brief comparison:

Same or very very similar specs
806 has direct USB connection vice opto connection
806 has an optional line voltage transformer ($20)
806 software is a little quicker - they're now up to Rev 1.3
506 should really be purchased with the USB adaptor cable ($20)
506 I have given it the title of "old reliable"

A PID used as a meter might be a better alternative although no easy data logging ability - RS485 (?)
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

da gino (original poster)

#3: Post by da gino (original poster) »

Cool, thanks Eric,

I was certainly going to get the USB cable and software with the 506 if I got it. Having a power cord for the 806 is very appealing - although you lose that in the 806W model.

Have you tried the 806W that can connect to the computer wirelessly? I think it might be nice to be able to use the computer but not have it tethered to the device. (I sometimes roast outside, it would be nice to monitor my grill with it at times, etc).

I assume none of these work well with a mac (not a major problem, but I'd rather use a mac).

Hugh

dsc

#4: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

any updates on the HH806 USB/wireless? I'm planning to pick one up soon (probably the USB version) and was wondering if anyone else has tried them (besides Eric).

Regards,
dsc.

da gino (original poster)

#5: Post by da gino (original poster) »

I got the 806 wireless and it works well, but I had to use it with my work computer since my home machine is an old mac and they aren't compatible with macs (new or old) as far as I can tell. It worked well with my XP machine, but I don't know if it works with Vista or not, which will be an issue soon as my work is "upgrading" to Vista.

dsc

#6: Post by dsc »

Hi Hugh,

I understand you need to buy some software to go with it and that's for accumulating data from the device right? or is it for plotting in real time as well?

Are you using yours with an AC adapter or running on batteries?

Regards,
dsc.

OkcEspresso

#7: Post by OkcEspresso »

I have the 806 as well. The software aquires and plots (low expectations - at least on the software version we have) real time on your laptop or desktop. It makes for an interesting diversion. We have had no problems with either the software or hardware and we run it hooked up to our 12k roaster to plot and record ET and BT on every roast. The software interface could be much better and I really wish they had an api we could hook into so we could integrate with our roasting software but you get what you get for $20.