Olympia Mini Matic - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
farmroast (original poster)

#11: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

orphanespresso wrote:Saw that one on ebay...good to see it pop up again. Since this generally unknown Mini has popped up, and considering the Maxi, could there possibly be a Middie? Or would it simply be called the Matic? Not a catchy name but good things come in three's so there must be another one out there somewhere! Performance??
It first sold for $372. +sh. but the buyer didn't complete the transaction so it was relisted and I ended up with it for $295. shipped. It had been recently sent out for a check up/service but obviously not to OE. Had a new pump but had to fuss with it to get it working but all is ok now. The shower screen was also about half clogged with some 26year old coffee oils. I've had no experience with a SBDU machine. Not sure how common this pictured approach is. Guess it's now time to learn how to surf!
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

jonny

#12: Post by jonny »

That shower screen setup looks identical to my mr. coffee except that the retainer screw is plastic. That must be a standard setup for a machine with no 3 way. What pump does it use?

peacecup

#13: Post by peacecup »

It does look a lot like the old Saeco 53-mm portafilter, and probably functions more or less in the same fashion.

I used one (a Saeco) for years, and now still use a Francis Francis that has a similar design. These simple machines can make great espresso, and really only require a little experimenting to get the temperature correct. For tastes I let them come to brew temp. Then I pull a a few ounces into the cup, lock, load and pull right away. This catches the water on the cooler side, before the boiler has completely heated it. I don't like espresso brewed as hot as most folks. Another trick I use sometimes is to turn the machine off after I pull the blank shot while I load the PF, then turn it on and pull the shot.

All that said, I prefer lever espresso 99.9% of the time.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#14: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

jonny wrote:That shower screen setup looks identical to my mr. coffee except that the retainer screw is plastic. That must be a standard setup for a machine with no 3 way. What pump does it use?
The Ulka EAX5 52w

#15: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

peacecup wrote:It does look a lot like the old Saeco 53-mm portafilter, and probably functions more or less in the same fashion.

I used one (a Saeco) for years, and now still use a Francis Francis that has a similar design. These simple machines can make great espresso, and really only require a little experimenting to get the temperature correct. For tastes I let them come to brew temp. Then I pull a a few ounces into the cup, lock, load and pull right away. This catches the water on the cooler side, before the boiler has completely heated it. I don't like espresso brewed as hot as most folks. Another trick I use sometimes is to turn the machine off after I pull the blank shot while I load the PF, then turn it on and pull the shot.
thanks for the tips
All that said, I prefer lever espresso 99.9% of the time.

PC
me too.
ps the lever Bezzy frame painting is about dry/hard enough to put it all back together in the next couple days!!!

peacecup

#16: Post by peacecup »

I'm sorry to relate this sad story Ed, but I feel compelled to warn you that the road to spring-lever land is paved with old pump machines and manual levers. I'm soon to part with my beloved Caravel, in order to acquire a second pressurized spring lever, a Sama Export. With a young family and busy work schedule I just don't have the time or space for it - I need two machines that can steam milk (home and office).

And I find the spring lever so pleasing to operate, especially for milk drinks (steam and pour simultaneously), and the espresso so good, that I was rarely using the Caravel. I was using the MiniGaggia at home, but found it a little ridiculous to heat both it and the Francis every time I wanted an AM cappa. So off they both go, and the Sama is already in transport from the other side of Lake Vänern. Perhaps most interesting of all is that I follow all the commercial lever threads, and always end up feeling happy about just having an Export (or two).

So it goes... that Bezzera is likely to steal your heart, although mojo found his Cremina proof against it's affections.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#17: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

Cremina owners: A Mini for parts reference: the drip tray and grate are the same on the Mini. The case is the same except it has the reservoir hinged cover mounted on the back lip. The cover comes off easy and the hinge mount is pretty thin, workable. And a few switches. The reservoir is the same as on the Maxi.
PC I still think they'll be taking a manual lever from my cold hand.