Nuova Simonelli Oscar Solenoid Leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
EricBNC

#1: Post by EricBNC »

The solenoid valve on my new (to me) Oscar that holds the pressure-stat is leaking from the end where the two close together teflon hoses (on right) meet. I took the assembly off but could not fix the leak - it might even be a bit worse. Any suggestions for repairing the seal would be appreciated.

If I need to replace this part then help with how to remove the teflon tubes would be appreciated as well - here are a couple thousand words worth of pictures:

The valve:

Outer part:

Inner Part:
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

Advertisement
kize

#2: Post by kize »

Does the solenoid valve itself leak or the connections at the solenoid ?? The connector you show has a set of stacked o-rings that provide the seal to the tubing "rings". I would attempt to locate the correct size of o'rings and replace them. Make sure everything is clean and use the dow 111 food grade lube (small amount applied to the o'rings.) Then carefully slide to tubes back on- without damaging the new o'rings. As long as the tubes and tube seats are not physically damaged, you should be good to go.

EricBNC (original poster)

#3: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply - I will remove one of the o-rings and try to match it with something I can source locally.
LMWDP #378

kize

#4: Post by kize »

No problem.. If you have a good source- try to get the Vi-ton style- they withstand heat better and will last longer.

#5: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

Thanks - the o-rings stopped the valve leak but now there is a slow leak (I see a droplet forming every couple seconds) where the Teflon pipe meets the metal part in the photo - I haven't seen a connection like this before. I was able to slide the black ring further down on the tube but the tube isn't wanting to release. Any help getting that Teflon tube off would be appreciated.

LMWDP #378

kize

#6: Post by kize »

I believe those are a grip fit. You should be able to push in the black "ring". Then while pushing the black ring into the fitting- push in the tubing to break it free -then pull out tubing. Sometimes you can just trim the tubing end then re-seat. If it still leaks then its a new fitting and possible new tubing time.

#7: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

This is a closer look at what I am trying to disconnect:

LMWDP #378

Advertisement
kize

#8: Post by kize »

Not the type of fitting I was expecting - But I believe its the same principle- compression grip fit. Pushing the tube into a internal ferrule- pressure grips tubing. With most types- moving ferrule and tubing inward releases grip of tubing. Maybe someone else could chime in on this ?

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Push/slide the metal collar (the shiny part) away from where the teflon tube enters and the tube should then pull out.

I would not try to source those o-rings (maybe you already did?) from the hardware store. Nuovo Simonelli MAY have a rebuild kit for that valve - worth a call.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#10: Post by EricBNC (original poster) replying to erics »

Thanks for all the help - I did finally manage to get the tube out by pushing the black ring up while pulling on the fitting. I cleaned inside the opening and trimmed some tubing but I still get a leak - maybe the fitting can wear out? I do not know.

A call to the manufacturer is a good idea. Incidentally the o-rings from the hardware store (1/2 OD, 3/8 ID x 1/16) did stop the upper valve leak for now but I think factory spec parts would be best long term.
LMWDP #378