Nuova Simonelli Oscar & Portafilters

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
russel

#1: Post by russel »

I'm attempting to fill in some of the more glaring gaps in my firsthand knowledge of consumer espresso gear...so I picked up a cheap Oscar to rebuild. Everything is fine except for the PF. I was expecting my newish NS commercial PF to fit but the lugs are way too thick and it only seats a few degrees without a baskets. I haven't been able to find any references to the Oscar's compatibility with regular NS PFs...has anyone else experienced this?
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Carneiro

#2: Post by Carneiro »

I had the problem with baskets, it goes hardly. But not turning much without basket I have never seen. Maybe the gasket is not Right?

plindy

#3: Post by plindy »

Perfectly normal , perfectly natural , not a cause for concern
NS commercial PF fits Oscar

New GH , PF , Gasket , no basket , lugs just clear the loading slot , handle at 6 o'clock

Working GH , PF , Gasket , with basket , lugs outside loading slot 6.6 mm , handle at 7 o'clock , lightly engaged for PF warming

New Lugs = 7.1 mm at the thick end
Lower edge of GH to lower lug channel = 6 mm
Lower edge of GH to upper lug channel =15.1 mm
Lower edge of GH to gasket , NS logo goes up , =15.9 mm

On to the next concern

gluck

PacMan

#4: Post by PacMan »

Could you post a closeup of the commercial NS portafilter? I'm looking for one for my Elli. I have the original portafilter but want a spare to make bottomless.

plindy

#5: Post by plindy »

Elli Matic?

Beach
Mia

PacMan

#6: Post by PacMan »

Thanks for the pic.

I have an Elli (manual fill boiler) which I believe is the precursor to the Ellimatic (auto fill boiler).