Nuova Simonelli Oscar OPV + Grinta - not comparable with Starbucks :(

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kevinlevrone

#1: Post by kevinlevrone »

Hello,

This is my first post here but I have been following this forum for a long time.

A few months ago I purchased a Nuova Simonelli Oscar machine with OPV (over-pressure valve) modification (so I can set any brew pressure - currently at 10 bar - I have a gauge). I also got a Nuova Simonelli Grinta grinder.

I finally managed to consistently extract some drinkable espresso from the machine, after months of trial and error. My biggest problem was that I used too much coffee in basket and the coffee almost always was sour-ish and bitter. However, now it is fine and balanced but not extraordinary. Regardless of the coffee brand, the espresso tastes similar. It's enjoyable but there are no subtle notes and flavors.

However, I was at Starbucks several times and people from there were nice enough to offer me some free espreso shots from various bean flavors that they sold. Their espresso shots were incredibly "detailed", you could feel so many flavors in the coffee, each type of coffee was different. The taste difference was incredible between my espresso and their espresso, from the same type of coffee that I purchased from Starbucks.

Now my question is, is there any chance I can get that "detailed" and rich flavor espresso using my equipment ? My grinding is fine, pressure is 10 bar, extraction time is ideal, coffee flows over 25 seconds for 25-30ml.

Could it be my Grinta grinder that is not good enough ? It has 50mm flat burrs. Should I try a grinder with larger burrs ? Does this make a huge difference ? I am willing to try another grinder (Grinta is quite cheap) but I am very afraid that I will spend a lot of money to get the same run-of-the-mill espresso.

Any opinions would be appreciated !