Nuova Simonelli Oscar makes a strange buzz/rattle sound

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stovetop

#1: Post by stovetop »

Hi Everyone,

i finished fixing up a used oscar i bought on ebay. It works fine, except for one issue..it will sometimes make an odd buzzing/rattling sound. Sometimes it's there when i hit the brew button, other times its there without having to hit brew.

Here it is..almost sounds like static in this video..you may need to turn up the speakers because its not very loud (note that at 22 seconds my washing machine starts up so ignore that loud clunk sound):
It can also be heard in this video when i hit the brew button.has sort of a popcorn/rattling sound to it..
i used to think it was the pstat but having looked inside it doesn't seem likely. I searched for a while and saw a few ppl bring up the issue but never saw a solution mentioned. Thanks!

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

Have you tried the stethoscope? Put a socket extension or something to each part, other to the ear. See if you can narrow it down. Careful for bare wires, I have used the same technique to find bearings going on my jeep.

stovetop (original poster)

#3: Post by stovetop (original poster) replying to forbeskm »

hmm didn't think of that. will try it out, thanks!

gor

#4: Post by gor »

Sounds like a vibe pump.

The fact that you have the case off the machine would explain why it sounds louder.

bluesman

#5: Post by bluesman »

forbeskm wrote:Have you tried the stethoscope? Put a socket extension or something to each part, other to the ear. See if you can narrow it down. Careful for bare wires, I have used the same technique to find bearings going on my jeep.
Using a screwdriver, ice pick etc works better for me than an extension. Put the tip solidly against the surface to be checked & hold the stethoscope diaphragm against the end of the handle. I made a diaphragm with the shaft from an awl on a thin metal disc.