Nuova Simonelli Oscar - is this diffuser for pods or grounds? [photo] - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
oconee (original poster)

#11: Post by oconee (original poster) »

And here is the new grill. Again, I appreciate the assistance. Now to read more about improving my shots.

bobotech

#12: Post by bobotech »

Hi there,

I'm a new member who doesn't know much at all about espresso other than what I have seen on Alton Brown's espresso episode.

Anyway, I bought an Oscar and a Pavoni Zip base grinder from a yard sale for 50 dollars (seriously, long story attached but I will make a new post about that and both of the units are in perfect working condition).

My Oscar has the same exact setup as the original poster's machine with the apparent pod diffuser setup:

I want to put the correct ground coffee diffuser in place but I have no idea where to order it or what to ask for.

Can someone tell me what exactly do I need? Does it have to be made specifically for the Oscar or are these diffusers pretty standardized across the board?

Please be gentle, I am a total newbie at making espresso!

roastaroma

#13: Post by roastaroma »

Here's one of the possible sources for the kit online:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... oscargdkit

Chris Coffee, as most espresso-heads here know, has an impeccable reputation in the industry. They should be able to address your technical questions by phone.

Buona Fortuna,
Wayne
"Non è la macchina, è la mano."
LMWDP #223

bobotech

#14: Post by bobotech »

Thank you Wayne!

I actually found a real espresso machine repair shop/supplier in my town. Funny thing is that they are about 10 blocks from my house.

I printed off the ad for the kit online and brought it to them. They sold me all the parts I needed (screen/screw/diffuser/double shot basket) for 35 dollars.

I was quite pleased.

Can't wait to go home and test her out.

espressoed

#15: Post by espressoed »

bobotech wrote:Anyway, I bought an Oscar and a Pavoni Zip base grinder from a yard sale for 50 dollars (seriously, long story attached but I will make a new post about that and both of the units are in perfect working condition).
I want an Oscar and a grinder in perfect working condition for $50 too!
All the coffee in Ethiopia won't make me a morning person.

Endo

#16: Post by Endo »

This showerhead style diffuser used for Pods looks almost exactly like the one used on the smaller baskets of the LaSpaziale Vivaldi and the Dalla Corte Mini (except the pod diffusers are thinner).

It seems odd that these new smaller basket machines would use this Pod type of showerhead design rather than a traditional dispersion screw like on the E-61, GS/3, Linea, Silvia etc.

The water from the screen on the LaSpaz definitley looks more uneven than the ones that have a dispersion screw.

Any thoughts on how this affects taste?

I'm thinking of doing my own diffuser design as a mod for the Vivaldi. It'll probably look something like the Silvia design. I was wondering if anyone any other ideas.
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

Carneiro

#17: Post by Carneiro »

Hi, Brian!

Just a little curious about something you said. I wonder if the Oscar PF fits Gaggia home machines, as you said that Gaggia PF fits Oscar... Does if fit precisely or the tabs are smaller and maybe the Oscar PF won't fit a Gaggia?

Thanks!

Márcio.

oconee (original poster)

#18: Post by oconee (original poster) »

Márcio,
Sorry for the delayed response. I have not browsed HB in awhile. I never had an Oscar PF, so I cannot comment on whether it fits a Gaggia. The Gaggia PF I have is an aftermarket naked PF; it fits the Oscar fine. Where the handle ends up after being engaged depends on the basket I use. I have a LM basket that sits a little higher in the PF and when engaged the PF handle is straight out from the machine. The Gaggia basket sits lower and when engaged the handle is turned to the right of center. Hope this helps.