Nuova Simonelli Oscar drain hose spitting water

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jasperleong

#1: Post by jasperleong »

Recently my Oscar is developing a strange scenario where water always pool up on the right side of the drip pan.

Then I realized water would spit out from the drain hose rapidly and causing water to splash out of the drip tray and leaked into drip pan underneath, and the mess of course.

The water amount wasn't significant but it's quite annoying that I have to remove the tray and pat dry the pan every time after pulling shot.

Do you think it's the 3 way valve malfunctioning?

Thanks!

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

That is the three way, if it's spitting water out during brew, I would suspect it to be faulty. Do you backflush the machine regularly?

jasperleong (original poster)

#3: Post by jasperleong (original poster) replying to LukeFlynn »

Actually it didn't happen during brew but immediately right after pulling shot.

I backflush every other week however I bought it used so have no idea what happened before me.

So is there a way to clean the 3-way solenoid valve?

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn replying to jasperleong »

So the 3 way is dumping water after every shot? Yes? That is the purpose.. if it's just a SLOW trickle of water out, there's likely a blockage in there, it's not too difficult to get off the grouphead, but you need to remove the front case for good access, after that it's just a nut and two screws.. mine had a little tiny scale deposit shaped in a ball that greatly reduced the amount of water expelled.

How long have you had the machine, and are you using detergent to backflush?

stovetop

#5: Post by stovetop »

how full do you keep the drip tray? only way i can imagine it spilling out is if the tray was very full ..but even that seems like a stretch...or the hose isnt properly line up with the tray and its missing.

#6: Post by jasperleong (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:So the 3 way is dumping water after every shot? Yes? That is the purpose.. if it's just a SLOW trickle of water out, there's likely a blockage in there, it's not too difficult to get off the grouphead, but you need to remove the front case for good access, after that it's just a nut and two screws.. mine had a little tiny scale deposit shaped in a ball that greatly reduced the amount of water expelled.

How long have you had the machine, and are you using detergent to backflush?
Yes water is dumping out after every shot but in a FAST way. I removed the drip tray and put a small plastic cup underneath the hose trying to catch the water but it bounced back and splashing water everywhere.

I had the machine for 2 months now with Cafiza for backflushing.

#7: Post by jasperleong (original poster) »

stovetop wrote:how full do you keep the drip tray? only way i can imagine it spilling out is if the tray was very full ..but even that seems like a stretch...or the hose isnt properly line up with the tray and its missing.
I emptied out the tray every morning so that's definitely not the case here.
Hose is aligned with the tray no doubt, I just can't figure out what is causing it :cry:

#8: Post by jasperleong (original poster) »

https://youtu.be/db1a0B594WE

If you can see this clip at 40 sec mark, you can clearly notice water splashing out once brew button disengaged, I had the exact same problem. :?

LukeFlynn

#9: Post by LukeFlynn »

My oscar did the same thing, I don't remember it spraying that high, but it certainly ejected water. To me, the hose looks pretty short, my hose came down a little bit further into the drip tray.

#10: Post by jasperleong (original poster) replying to LukeFlynn »

Will see if I could pull the hose a little down into the tray