Nuova simonelli oscar doesn't heat up

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
beyondcoffee

#1: Post by beyondcoffee »

I'm nervous about my oscar machine. I just buy & use it a month ago. Now I met a trouble and the machine breaks down.

The scene is as below.

I turn on OSCAR machine and make a cup of coffee, which is a good taste. Then I leave it on. After two hours, I come back and want to make a new coffee. I find that the heat light is on. I think it heat up the water. But after some minutes, it can't turn off automatically. I push the left button and get some water,which is no warm. Then I turn on steam knob, no steam comes up. I'm very nervous at this time.

I try to fix it but failed as below.
I turn off machine and cut the power. Open steam knob and then turn on it newly. It can't work, too.
I'm eager to your help. Thanks a lot.

itsallaroundyou

#2: Post by itsallaroundyou »

if that is the case, it sounds like you might have intermittent heat, so maybe a bad connection somewhere along the lines to/from your heater element. Also, make sure the water reservoir is full so you don't run out of water while testing this.

just to be sure, try this:

1. from being totally cooled down, turn on the machine.
2. Wait about 15-20 mins, then open the steam valve, and wait until the steam runs out.
3. Close the steam valve and wait another 30 mins.
4. open the steam valve, and make sure you're getting full power steam (leave it fully open at least 10-15 secs to be sure).
5. make sure you're getting full temp water from the group by dispensing water into a cup with a thermometer (just make sure the water is 180+ degrees F (i think in Celsius, that is in the high 80s/low90s)
6. Leave the machine on, and come back after two hours, and repeat step 4 and 5.
7. report back and let us know if you still have the problem.

good luck
"If it wasn't for venetian blinds it'd be curtains for us all"

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

I don't know the particulars of Oscar's safety mechanisms, but another possibility is that the resettable high-temperature limit switch tripped. Most espresso machines have such a switch to cutoff power to the heating element in case the boiler runs dry.
Dan Kehn

beyondcoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by beyondcoffee (original poster) »

To itsallaroundyou:
I follow your steps and I'm sorry to tell you that I'm failed. The water can't be heated. I guess that somethings should be broken or need to be reset.

To HB:
I look for this "resettable high-temerature limit switch" and I'm failed also. I upload my coffee machine images.
On the right of boiler.

On the left of boiler.

The coffee machine (oscar)

The boiler.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Take a look here: http://www.nuovadistribution.com/images ... akdown.pdf

This parts catalog definitely shows the safety thermostat mounted on the end of the boiler near the heating element (as suggested earlier by Dan BUT your machine appears to NOT have one).

Did you buy the machine new or used ? Is there any service facility for machines nearby?

edit - maybe this will help: http://www.nuovasimonelli.com/chinesetr ... index.html
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#6: Post by beyondcoffee (original poster) »

To erics:

I buy this machine newly. It's just used by me more than a month. I get the same information from the breakdown document. But I can't found the safety thermostat on the boiler.
Is my machine mimic? I'm very nervous.
How to verify the machine where it's a quality goods ?

By the way, the vendor isn't near by me. He locates in the another city and the services doesn't been offered immediately.

itsallaroundyou

#7: Post by itsallaroundyou »

for a new machine, it should also have the Sirai p-stat, which i don't see.....weird also, that it doesn't have the safety on the end of the boiler. maybe there is a malfunction with the p-stat? what brand is the one on your machine?
"If it wasn't for venetian blinds it'd be curtains for us all"

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

I would suggest you contact the vendor from whom you bought the machine AND transport it there for troubleshooting. Certainly the machine has some sort of warranty and all of this should be at NO EXPENSE to you. While certainly your machine appears to have the basic Oscar configuration, there appears to be some differences between yours and other Oscars.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#9: Post by beyondcoffee (original poster) »

I think I have no way except expressing the machine to the vendor. It's a long travel for it.
Hope it can come back ASAP, my god.

#10: Post by beyondcoffee (original poster) »

The vendor has fixed my Oscar coffee machine. The hot element has been replaced because the original hot element broken down.
I'm very disappointed about its quality.
I wish it could not occur again in the next time.