Nuova Simonelli Oscar diffuser

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jasperleong

#1: Post by jasperleong »

Hello,
I recently purchased a used Oscar from craigslist, however it's missing portafilter, water reservoir cover lid, and shower screen.

Based on the photo, I don't even know if the brass color metal is diffuser? The outer metal ring seems has spring mechanism that would bounce up and down when pressure applied.

Please help me out in identify this! Thank you very much!

jasperleong (original poster)

#2: Post by jasperleong (original poster) »

I just found out my Oscar has an adapter to take smaller portafilter I think (?)

Do you think the adapter is removable?

bluesman

#3: Post by bluesman »

I don't have a clue what that is. But it may well be some kind of adapter that inserts into the grouphead like a PF does. You may simply have to rotate it counterclockwise to remove it from a normal Oscar grouphead - it's clearly inserted into what looks like a standard Oscar, from what we can see.

newrevolution123

#4: Post by newrevolution123 »

Hi Jay,

The Oscar machine you purchased is a pod only version which means that it only accepts coffee pods (sachets with preground coffee) you usually buy from Illy. So you will not be able to use with normal portafilters ...unless you remove the adapter plate then install a new gasket and shower screen (you need to order these from Nuova simonelli usa or chris coffee see references below).

I had the exact issue when purchasing a used NS Musica espresso also off craiglist a few years ago. Please find below the original thread with some of the information you need.

Used Nuova Simonelli Musica - Convert from pods to ground coffee?

And also

Nuova Simonelli Oscar - is this diffuser for pods or grounds? [photo]

Here are the items you will have to purchase

03000066.C- Shower screen
00300021- Shower screw
98005022- Double portafilter
02280020.V Group gasket , the original one is still in the machine, but you may want to get another one for future use.
And Single/double/triple baskets

Any question let me know, I will try to help.
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

bluesman

#5: Post by bluesman »

My Oscar came with a pod diffuser, screen, basket and PF in addition to 2 regular PFs and the standard screen & diffuser. I converted the pod PF to bottomless because I don't use pods, but the pod setup uses a standard size pressurized Oscar 58mm PF with a different basket. There's no cone for the bottom of the grouphead like the one in the OP's pics, and there's no cone on the one Gail is converting in the video. It looks to me like that adapter has tabs for a PF that would have to be at least a few mm smaller than 58, so the cone probably inserts into the GH like a standard PF but may have some kind of fastener or lock screw. I look forward to finding out what it is.

#6: Post by jasperleong (original poster) »

Thank you so much y'all for all the great help especially Christian! Big thanks!

Christian, did you remove the center brass where the water comes out in order to reach those 3 bolts that hold down the adapter cone?

newrevolution123

#7: Post by newrevolution123 »

Hi,

You are welcome.

Yes you need to remove the center brass adapter to be able to take out the 3 screws holding everything together. After that you need to give the machine a good cleaning and install the new elements (as detailed above) you would have ordered from Chris coffee or Nuova Simonelli. Don't forget to order new portafilter baskets as the pod ones are too shallow for ground coffee.

Ps: I have forgotten to indicate you may want to order some paper shims (inexpensive paper O-rings) which are usually placed underneath the rubber group gasket. Since you are ordering installing new parts you may as well get one installed. This will prevent leaks out of your portafilters during the brewing process, and help locking in your portafilter in the 6 o'clock position. If the existing appears in good shape just leave it on, you will have to change it in 6-8 months time.

Good luck!
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

bluesman

#8: Post by bluesman »

newrevolution123 wrote:I have forgotten to indicate you may want to order some paper shims (inexpensive paper O-rings) which are usually placed underneath the rubber group gasket.
This is an educational thread for me! I've never seen paper shims for a grouphead gasket - I didn't even know they existed. As I've never had a new gasket that required added thickness to seal with the PF at 6 o'clock, I never thought about it. I looked at them them on espressoparts, and they appear to be treated paper similar to automotive thermostat gaskets. They make sense if a perfectly good gasket is compressed enough to require more than the "proper" twist to seal the PF - but I think I'd just change the gasket at that point, as it has to be removed to place the shim anyway.

Ellejaycafe

#9: Post by Ellejaycafe replying to bluesman »

I use the shims because my portafilters are beat up and the ears are worn... So rather than buy $70 dollar new portafilters I just buy the shims and my older portafilters lock in at 6 o clock like new! I love my old beat up portafilters ha
LMWDP #544

#10: Post by jasperleong (original poster) »

Very good advice Christian!

So finally I removed the adapter and found out it was actually setup for Illy iperespresso capsules.

This is the pod diffuser that I just removed, apparently this is thicker than normal plate.