Nuova Simonelli Mac - Power cuts out after being on for a while

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
MilesM

#1: Post by MilesM »

Hello all,

I just bought a NS Mac Cup and I'm having an issue with it shutting off after a while of being turned on (but not in use).

Everything seems to be working OK - pump works, autofill OK, heats up, steam is fine etc. etc. and I am able to start up the machine, let it heat up for a while and then pull a few tests shots. I'm not using this commercially (it's jut me, myself and I in this coffee shop), so the machine doesn't stay in constant use. After an hour or maybe more, (I haven't noticed anything special happening), the machine just powers down and will not come back on. I have to unplug and let it sit overnight before I can try again.

I'm assuming that there is some heat protector cut-off that's kicking in - any ideas or experience with this? I did find the manual on the NS site, but it is basically a user manual, not so much a shop manual for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Miles

kize

#2: Post by kize »

Looking at a parts book in reference to your machine- it appears there is a thermal safety attached to the side/top of the boiler. I would suggest you start there. If you have electronic background and a DVM- turn it on until it fails- UNPLUG the machine from power. Then measure continuity on the thermal safety. If you don't have electronic skills- have someone else check it (or roll the dice and just replace it with a new one). Pretty cheap part. Most likely your problem.

MilesM (original poster)

#3: Post by MilesM (original poster) »

Do you have an electronic version of the parts book? I've got this version from Nova Distribution but I don't see the thermal safety switch listed.

I'll have a look at the machine when I get home tonight.

M.

MilesM (original poster)

#4: Post by MilesM (original poster) »

Is this what we're looking for?

Thanks,

M.

kize

#5: Post by kize »

parts book here: http://www.nuovadistribution.com/images ... book_a.pdf

Yes, that is what you are looking for. Looks like part #09500004 in the parts book.Should be properly rated for voltage, current and thermal temp as your old one.

MilesM (original poster)

#6: Post by MilesM (original poster) »

Slight development - the machine will no longer turn on at all.

Also, I had a look at the thermal cutoff, and the way it is wired would lead me to believe that it would simply cut power to the element, (since it is wired directly to the pressurestat) and shut down the machine completely. Am I off base here? When the machine cuts out, I have no power at all at the panel, not just a lack of heat.

Thanks,

kize

#7: Post by kize »

Sounds like your at the next level. Its going to take a DVM, wiring diagram and some electrical troubleshooting skills to chase this down. This could pose a serious safety threat to you if you don't what you're doing.