Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000 V Brew Temperature Too Low

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jon.sauer

#1: Post by jon.sauer »

I have this HX machine and am trying to get my target brew temperature. I have my thermocouple device and know it is calibrated correctly. The temperature when I do the initial grouphead flush is 208 and then quickly drops to the 160s. Should I just turn up my p stat. The pressure gauge on the front says that the p stat is kicking off at about 1.8 bar (a guess as it only reads up to 1.5 bar and then its in the red up until 2.5 bar). Will it hurt anything to turn it up further and further or is something possibly not working right?

jon.sauer (original poster)

#2: Post by jon.sauer (original poster) »

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Should I just turn up my p stat.
Absolutely NOT.

The "correct" pstat setting for that machine should be AROUND 1.00 bar MAX. Post a pic of your temperature measuring device but if the temperature drops so rapidly as you describe, I suspect a false pressure reading due to a vacuum breaker valve which is stuck closed.

After the machine warms up, open the steam valve for about 5 seconds or so and watch the temperatures rise.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#4: Post by jon.sauer (original poster) »

Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Please see the you tube link above your post. I have a short video there showing my temperature device.

keno

#5: Post by keno »

jon.sauer wrote:I have this HX machine and am trying to get my target brew temperature. I have my thermocouple device and know it is calibrated correctly. The temperature when I do the initial grouphead flush is 208 and then quickly drops to the 160s.
The thermocouple may be accurate, but the problem, I think, may be with your homemade Scace-like device in the portafilter. At 1.5 - 1.8 bar the water temp in the boiler is 232 -242 F, so 208 sounds low. My guess is that your device may be reading about 25 F too low and because of that and if you are running water with no puck or resistance (which I can't tell from the video) you are seeing the temp drop, which is normal under these circumstances. To accurately and reliably measure the group temp you need either a real Scace or Eric's thermometer (which may not work in your machine if it's not an E61).

How does the espresso taste? With a boiler pressure that high it should be quite bitter and overextracted unless you have some other temperature problem (eg, scale buildup) that you are attempting to compensate for with the higher pressure.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

I have a short video there showing my temperature device.
I admit that I did not look at the video prior to making my previous post but, well . . . it shows the meter readings and I can only assume this is during a cooling flush. I have no idea what the actual device looks like.

So my previous comment still applies.
Skål,

Eric S.

#7: Post by jon.sauer (original poster) »

I haven't been home yet to check on that Eric. I know that when I heat up (which is rarely because my machine is on 24/7 except to empty the boiler and recharge my water softener) the vacuum valve will spew for about 3-4 seconds and then closes and the machine heats up further. I am going to disconnect the valve tonight and look at it. What should I look for?

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

The description of the vacuum valve you have provided tells me it is operating correctly. I don't know that it would be fruitful to remove and disassemble and clean with some soaking in white vinegar . . . certainly can't hurt.

However, I would definitely lower that pstat setting and go from there.
Skål,

Eric S.

Jonsauer1

#9: Post by Jonsauer1 »

Thanks I did that so that the heating element kicks off at about 1 bar. I will try to post a picture of my temp device tomorrow.

#10: Post by jon.sauer (original poster) »

Please see the pic of my temp device. I am pretty new to temp devices. I boiled water in the stove and the meter read 211.6 degrees right when it started boiling.