Nuova Simonelli Aurelia Pump Intermittant

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jonsc

#1: Post by jonsc »

Hi All,

As I am new to this site please forgive any "gaffs",

I have my own shop with A Nuova Simonelli Aurelia 3 group which has been in regular use for approx 2.5 years and regularly serviced throughout. There have been no problems till about two months ago when the pump wouldnt start occasionally. Engineer initially changed the press buttons board but after a week or two the problem came back, so the next time he changed the pump but alas this didnt solve it. He now wants to try a new control board (at £700). Obviously this is a lot of "hard earned". so I was wondering if any of you guys might have experiences similar?

many thanks,
Jonathan

allon

#2: Post by allon »

Could be start capacitor.
Does the 3-way valve click when the pump doesn't run?

Let's say you've dosed the portafilter, run a flush, then locked, and the pump doesn't run when you try to pull the shot. Does the puck get wet?

Do you do a flush and not hear the motor run, but hear a click and water comes from the group?

Any other details?
LMWDP #331

jonsc (original poster)

#3: Post by jonsc (original poster) »

Hi Allon,

When pump doesn't run there is a click and water does fill the puck and runs out real slow. Yes when I do a flush there is a click and water. Strange thing is it can run for days with no trouble then not work all day!

allon

#4: Post by allon »

I'd bet it's the start capacitor or the run capacitor.
Check for the parts' specs on the NS website - they are pretty good with parts diagrams. If you aren't comfortable with electrical wiring, hire someone to do it for you.

It is still possible it's a relay or the control board. You could use a meter to diagnose it for sure.
LMWDP #331

Gwilym

#5: Post by Gwilym »

Initial chat with Nuova Dist and they agree with the capacitor diagnosis

jonsc (original poster)

#6: Post by jonsc (original poster) »

Many thanks guys, have ordered new capacitor and will let you know how I get on.

Jonsc

TurCo

#7: Post by TurCo »

hey jonathan.

its been a little more than a month, and i was wondering if the capacitor fixed your problem.

jpboyt

#8: Post by jpboyt »

By the random behavior I would suspect the pump relay in the control box. If you let the motor sit stalled with full current for the duration of a shot it will be getting pretty warm and should blow the fuse in the control box. If the motor makes no noise and generates no heat it probably is a case of burnt points in the pump relay. The contact material erodes in an arcing self cleaning type process which can explain the erratic behavior. Cheap fix.
jpboyt