Not using espresso machine for a month, tips?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Gaius

#1: Post by Gaius »

Hi,

so i need some tips on what to do if anything at all you do when you leave for like a month without use, lets say your going for a travel or similar.
Should i just backflush it and of course clean it and maybe remove water from the tank so it does not built a scale or should i take any special steps to "prepare" the machine to be left alone? :)

Thank you for your quick answer as i leave first thing in the morning

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

If you've done a backflush within a week, I'd say you don't need to do one before you put it in storage.. but hey a backflush never hurts. Absolutely empty the water tank, it will get nasty if left stagnant. If possible, also empty the water from the boilers (not as critical, but important if it will be in freezing temperatures).

Gaius (original poster)

#3: Post by Gaius (original poster) »

Aha i see, thank you.

Any tip on how to remove water from boilers? Removing water tank completely because of magnetic shut off and disable heating element via PID if thats possible just to let the pump do its work, but than again its really unhealthy if the pumps runs dry right?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Gaius wrote:Thank you for your quick answer as i leave first thing in the morning
The consensus from previous discussions like Preparing an espresso machine for storage is that emptying the reservoir suffices. I would not bother with draining the boilers unless you plan to transport it to the storage location. In the unlikely event that funk develops in the steam boiler, a light descaling treatment would resolve it.
Dan Kehn