No crema from new Gaggia Color

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
allora

#1: Post by allora »

After years of longing for an espresso machine, my kids took pity on me and bought me the Gaggia Color (red) for Christmas. It certainly is an adjustment from my stove-top Bialetti!

I do own a Rocky (have for years), so I have a good grinder. I've purchased several types of beans, as well as a freshly ground espresso from a local place. The problem is that the result is still somewhat bitter and the crema forms only around the outer edges. The first thing I do is steam my milk, and then I run hot water through the empty portafilter. Then I brew the espresso.

It does seem that I have a lot of water coming out of the machine at times, but since I've never owned a machine before, I can't say if this is normal or not. I do know that when I first started it, it smelled of burning wires up by the brew-head.

I know this is a "learning" machine, so I realize that I'm going to have to have patience with the trial and error process. Any suggestions/ideas on what else I could try?

I'm also looking for suggestions for tampers for a newbie.

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

A.

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

It may just be the way you wrote it, but if the freshest stuff you've used is pre-ground elsewhere then the first problem to fix may be the use of stale coffee.

randytsuch

#3: Post by randytsuch »

Here is a list of places to get good, fresh beans.
List of our favorite Roasters

Without fresh beans, you won't get good crema.

Randy

allora (original poster)

#4: Post by allora (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

The ground that I purchased is from a place that roasts their own beans daily. If the beans had been sitting, they would have been there for only a day, or two, at the most. I'm sure it is user error that is the problem, but I've not figured out exactly what I'm doing wrong. :)

A.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

Ground coffee for espresso is good for about ten or twelve minutes. Grind finer with the Rocky until the machine is choked and nothing comes out, then go one click at a time more coarse. But first, get some fresh, whole bean coffee. If the Rocky is that many years old, then it could be due for new burrs. In daily use the burrs are good for about two to four years. While they seem to be working fine, you will notice the difference when you change them (or have them changed as the case may be).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

leopm

#6: Post by leopm »

In fact, the biggest reason to get no crema is frequently stale coffee. As you said that got fresh beans, so maybe you're getting channeling...I saw that you're looking for tampers. Well, if you are looking for them and never had another 58mm group machine before, I imagine that you're using the plastic tamper that came with the machine, is it correct?

I bought my Gaggia Baby Twin and it arrived few days ago, but my tamper still doesn't arrive and all I already have are 51mm, so I'm using the plastic tamper and because of this I'm having big problems with channeling. This kind of problem can cause bitterness.

Too hot water also can be a part of problem. It also causes bitterness and frequently over extraction, what also reduces crema.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

With the close of the holidays comes new owners reporting no crema in the forums...
allora wrote:Any suggestions/ideas on what else I could try?
Searching on "no crema" found plenty of previous replies. Please refer to the Recommended Reading in the FAQs and Favorites. It's an evening's worth of reading, but will answer your current questions and those you're likely to have for the first three months of ownership. The forum search tips will also serve you well.
Dan Kehn