Newly replaced boiler safety valve is hissing

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
dlemon

#1: Post by dlemon »

I need some help diagnosing a recent (attempted) repair on my simonelli oscar. The boiler safety valve began hissing and and releasing pressure. I assumed it was failing since I haven't made any changes to the pressure stat in over a year. I checked the pressure it and was maxing out 1.3 bar. I did a descale since it was due. Made it worse! So I ordered a new one from espressoparts.com.

After installation, and during heating up the new one is hissing from the side vents. See the illustration below. The machine never completely warms up, so I haven't even checked to see the boiler pressure. Installation seems to be straightforward, the valve is pretty snug. At first I thought it was not on tight enough but the steam is definitely coming from the side vents and not from where the valve meets the t-fitting.

My first instinct is contact espressoparts.com for a replacement. It just seems unusual to have a new valve opening at what I presume lower pressure.

thanks for any input!
Daran

keepitsimple

#2: Post by keepitsimple »

First thought would be that there's nothing wrong with the safety valve (possibly not with the old one either), but that the boiler may be over-full with water. This can easily happen, especially if you remove boiler fittings for any reason.

What happens when you open the steam valve ? or does the machine not get warm enough to force anything out ?

If water comes out rather than steam, then over filling is the most probable cause.

dlemon (original poster)

#3: Post by dlemon (original poster) »

Thanks for reply.
It does warm enough to produce steam through the steam valve.

I did check the water probe to make sure it hadn't changed depth.
- Daran

dlemon (original poster)

#4: Post by dlemon (original poster) »

with a little more observation:
- the old valve - would pop and then begin it's hissing.

- the new valve - begins hissing as it warms and grows louder the hotter it gets

- I've reduced the boiler pressure

*water begins seeping when pressure is immeasurable
*at .6 bar steam hissing begins
*machine does reach 1 bar with continue steam hissing

It seems like the valve is stuck open.

dlemon (original poster)

#5: Post by dlemon (original poster) »

I'm still trying to diagnose what's going on here. Machine warms enough to make coffee and steam milk.

I've contacted the dealer about the part, I'm hoping for an exchange so that I rule out or possibly fix if it's a faulty boiler safety valve. As the machine warms the hissing from the valve grows louder and more intense. It doesn't reach a certain pressure then pop. It just continually leaks (steam).

I've checked the water probe for scale, it's currently all the way down. Which my understanding causes less water and more steam.

I'm still trying to eliminate the possibility of the boiler overfilling. Other than the probe, anything I could check?

DaveC

#6: Post by DaveC »

Sometimes safety valves can be faulty from new...it does happen.

estib

#7: Post by estib »

Try checking if the safety valve is adjustable. The pressure setting might be too low causing it to hiss/leak.

dlemon (original poster)

#8: Post by dlemon (original poster) »

The valve is not adjustable. I did contact the distributor, they are providing a replacement. Hopefully it solves the issue.